The Student Room Group
Reply 1
tim2
I get the feeling it is. Am i right?

Sorry, this is the last of my threads today :smile:

Depends on whether it's from the London Business School or Bognor Regis College of FE!

Seriously though, the tag 'Mickey Mouse' is not particularly helpful. Just think through what it is that you're looking to do after the completion of your education, and then decide upon whether the course/universities you're considering are able to provide a route towards the right direction.
The accountants might say it is, but ignore them.
Reply 3
This is coming from a family where all the working members of my family that have a managment position, have all earned it through experience.

I can't see how you can be a manager when you know no core skill or anything about the buisness you are managing.

My dad comes across these idiots everyday, they come straight from Uni thinking they know everything, but in reality they don't and they havent got a clue what they are talking about. More so in the engineering industry.

If you really have to do Buisness studies, then do it with another subject or ie Buisness Studies with blah or BS and blah, or even better A core subject with Buisness studies.
Reply 4
Binary
This is coming from a family where all the working members of my family that have a managment position, have all earned it through experience.

I can't see how you can be a manager when you know no core skill or anything about the buisness you are managing.

My dad comes across these idiots everyday, they come straight from Uni thinking they know everything, but in reality they don't and they havent got a clue what they are talking about. More so in the engineering industry.

If you really have to do Buisness studies, then do it with another subject or ie Buisness Studies with blah or BS and blah, or even better A core subject with Buisness studies.

Why dosn't he just hire school leavers then instead?
Reply 5
amazingtrade
Why dosn't he just hire school leavers then instead?

He doesn't hire them, he works with them, you made a silly comment anyway. I meant a core subject ie engineering or whatever your profession might be at degree level.
Reply 6
Binary

thats a little harsh isn't it towards graduates..calling them idiots who don't know anything?
I think if you graduate, no matter from which uni you will definately have some knowledge. As far as you father is concerned he may have said that because he could have felt somehow intimidated by graduates, since as you you said he gained his position through experience not through studying a degree and he is probably far better than most of his fellows at what he does. but anyway my point is that graduates show knowledge and intellectual superiority of some degree over those who prefered to go straight into work after school.

please dont take this personally..just though your comment was abit unfair,
cheers.
Reply 7
bratva10
thats a little harsh isn't it towards graduates..calling them idiots who don't know anything?
I think if you graduate, no matter from which uni you will definately have some knowledge. As far as you father is concerned he may have said that because he could have felt somehow intimidated by graduates, since as you you said he gained his position through experience not through studying a degree and he is probably far better than most of his fellows at what he does. but anyway my point is that graduates show knowledge and intellectual superiority of some degree over those who prefered to go straight into work after school.

please dont take this personally..just though your comment was abit unfair,
cheers.

Nope my dad did do a degree, hes got an Meng in Civil Engineering, he is a Ceng and can be a Fellow of ICE (more than qualifies for it but doesnt see the point, already has a reputation). Hes got MICE tho, and loads of other qualifications and is a member of the charted institute of builders.

Im not refering to all graduates after, I'm refering to those who did Buisness studies, and have no knowlege of the subject they are dealing with.

Don't take it personally, you didn't know :wink:
Reply 8
You'd be better off taking economics. Harder but far more useful.
Reply 9
ZJuwelH
You'd be better off taking economics. Harder but far more useful.

Best advice in this thread.
Reply 10
Binary
Nope my dad did do a degree, hes got an Meng in Civil Engineering, he is a Ceng and can be a Fellow of ICE (more than qualifies for it but doesnt see the point, already has a reputation). Hes got MICE tho, and loads of other qualifications and is a member of the charted institute of builders.

Im not refering to all graduates after, I'm refering to those who did Buisness studies, and have no knowlege of the subject they are dealing with.

Don't take it personally, you didn't know :wink:

yeah ok fair enough, i get where your comments come from now
Reply 11
Welll, my Mum has a Business degree, though this has been bettered by CIMA qualification, but she's a successful manager now, though experience is certainly important, but she worked whilst doing a degree.
Reply 12
Lord Huntroyde
Welll, my Mum has a Business degree, though this has been bettered by CIMA qualification, but she's a successful manager now, though experience is certainly important, but she worked whilst doing a degree.

Thats surely a good way, experience in a job whilst learning the degree :smile:
For some things business studies is good just on its own I have to admit, but for the vast majority employers will want experience in the sector you wish to "manage" or a degree in that subject.
Reply 13
I don't do business studies but I have an AS in it. When I went for an interview for a part time web developer I told them a load of bull I quoted from an Entreprenueal Management module I did on my degree, they were quite impressed I had real world knowledge other than programming and thats what got me the job.

I am not too sure how employee's would value it though it probably depends on the person more than the degree. I always tend to though that business type qualifications are better studied part time at post graduate level when you are working so you have a better idea of whats going on.

Being taught mamangement when that person may have never had a full time job seems a bit backwards to me.

If you want to setup you own business then I would imagine it is a useful degree to have.

Latest

Trending

Trending