Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Cultural appropriation'-The most pseudo-intellectual, depressingly dumb words...... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ever **** onto western civilization. I was fuming watching the debate on newsnight, about Justin Bieber can't have his hair like he wants, whilst the silly pompous woman was being indulged.(It was cultural appropriation, Bieber having corn rows/dreads whatever) but when Beyonce took on Indian culture, it wasn't, because an all powerful (b?)millionaire such as her is oppressed and India isn't poor......)

a)You have no respect for a free society if you believe in this.
    b)You are moronic and illogical- please tell me what culture on earth worth it's salt evolved through never changing with time geographical isolation and/or cultural homogeneity? Cultures change, cultures have influences form other places, that is the nature of the world, like the sun coming up and down. What do they want, Christianity only within a 10miles radius of Bethlehem? A ban on Tikka Masala?
    Brits stop appropriating the practice of tea drinking from India?

When I see white people indulging this ****, and the pathetic infantile culture of offence, moral outrage and preciousness(don't get me wrong when something truly is harmful I get it), loss of irony and understanding of liberty and everything that made us what we are and we claim to want to defend, I know we have lost our soul and our minds, these are like the nail in the coffin things that say to me-'never have kids'

ReputationRep:
    If you ignore it then it will never affect you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to discuss the topic at length, please visit 46 page thread about it.

ReputationRep:
    Many people accused Beyonce of cultural appropriation and Rihanna before her in Princess of China.

I normally don't agree with the accusations, couldn't care less how Bieber wears his hair. Having said that some people tend to sh** on other people's cultures in an attempt to give themselves an edge. The Lean On video was one that I found to be quite distasteful.

ReputationRep:
    'Cultural appropriation' is the kind of word that gives SJW's and the NUS wet dreams.

The woman on the same newsnight interview made out likeElvis Presley was a bloody plantation owner!

ReputationRep:
    Where did this ridiculous notion that dreadlocks belong exclusively to black people come from? There are dozens of non-African peoples across the world who have traditionally used the hairstyle. There are sects of Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism and Islam for example who wear dreadlocks. The ancient Spartans are known to have worn dreadlocks as did many pre-Columbian Central and South American civilisations. There is evidence that some early Christians may have worn them.

By diseminating this false idea that dreadlocks are something exclusive to black culture and completely disregarding every other culture who wear them, are blacks not infact the ones guilty of committing "cultural appropriation"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Many people accused Beyonce of cultural appropriation and Rihanna before her in Princess of China.

I normally don't agree with the accusations, couldn't care less how Bieber wears his hair. Having said that some people tend to sh** on other people's cultures in an attempt to give themselves an edge. The Lean On video was one that I found to be quite distasteful.
    Only in that Americans are alays like, 'oh I love your awesome clothes/culture whatever....' in a patronising way. I wouldn't say it's distasteful beyond that as any Indians choosing to dance in traditional clothes.

Again though, it's just our subjective perceptions of the taste of something, the fact that liberals think such a thing as that justifies a system of subjectively judged banning, is just an outrageous indictment of everything they have come to reveal about themselves. So many so-called 'liberal' either have no nuanced understanding of liberty truly is, and/or have no reagrd for it whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Where did this ridiculous notion that dreadlocks belong exclusively to black people come from? There are dozens of non-African peoples across the world who have traditionally used the hairstyle. There are sects of Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism and Islam for example who wear dreadlocks. The ancient Spartans are known to have worn dreadlocks as did many pre-Columbian Central and South American civilisations. There is evidence that some early Christians may have worn them.

By diseminating this false idea that dreadlocks are something exclusive to black culture and completely disregarding every other culture who wear them, are blacks not infact the ones guilty of committing "cultural appropriation"?
    What you say is true, but slightly diverts the main point, and justifies the notion that if the above wasn't true, then it would matter. It doesn't. It's just the ludicrous nature of the phrase and concept that I hate. One minute liberals talk about xenophones, bigots, provincials or 'little Englanders',who don't want to enrich themselves with anything slightly foreign, the next minute the very same demographic are seriously considering saying the use of yoga or dreads is offensive, and piled on top of that, that what is ambiguously offensive should be demarqued and banned. Just so punchable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Only in that Americans are alays like, 'oh I love your awesome clothes/culture whatever....' in a patronising way. I wouldn't say it's distasteful beyond that as any Indians choosing to dance in traditional clothes.

Again though, it's just our subjective perceptions of the taste of something, the fact that liberals think such a thing as that justifies a system of subjectively judged banning, is just an outrageous indictment of everything they have come to reveal about themselves. So many so-called 'liberal' either have no nuanced understanding of liberty truly is, and/or have no reagrd for it whatsoever.
    An Indian choosing to dance in Indian clothes is one thing but how many choose to dance in Hindu temples wearing very revealing clothes? If you're going to portray a culture you should at least educate yourself regarding it.

ReputationRep:
    It's just another way for the progressives (or, more appropriately, the regressives) massage their sense of superior moral enlightenment and try to control people.

The stupidest thing about it is how centered around race it is, as race doesn't necessarily have anything to do with culture. The same people complaining about a white man wearing an African-style thing would be totally fine with an American black man from Scottsdale Arizona wearing a traditional Nigerian style thing, even though he isn't even from Nigeria and has nothing to do with it.

Ultimately it's giving people birth rights to aspects of culture they neither invented nor necessarily have much involvement in, often based on arbitrary factors like skin colour. At the same time, it spits on the individual rights of people to style themselves or things in the way they choose. It's fundamentally illiberal, preachy, hypocritical bull.

ReputationRep:
    immigrants coming to a new culture and integrating = cultural appropriation, then? are they racists~?
    and what about the black girls who straighten/bleach their hair e.g. nicki minaj? is she a racist~ against europeans?
    it just kind of implies that we ought to try that old jim crow racial/cultural segregation model of society again, which is retarded
    so the worst part of this cultural appropriation movement is that it is hypocritical and nonsensical, not just "wrong"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigBabyJesus)
    immigrants coming to a new culture and integrating = cultural appropriation, then? are they racists~?
    and what about the black girls who straighten/bleach their hair e.g. nicki minaj? is she a racist~ against europeans?
    it just kind of implies that we ought to try that old jim crow racial/cultural segregation model of society again, which is retarded
    so the worst part of this cultural appropriation movement is that it is hypocritical and nonsensical, not just "wrong"
    ^this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)

I agree with this, the roots of cultural trends are not always so obvious. I think that charges of cultural appropriation are quite petty particularly in such a globalist society. If dreads only belong to black people, then all those black people who straighten their hair so that it looks like white hair, are guilty of appropriating Western culture...? Or all the people from Eastern or African cultures wearing, say, Western suits instead of ethnic dress, are they also guilty of cultural appropriation? It makes no sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Ever **** onto western civilization. I was fuming watching the debate on newsnight, about Justin Bieber can't have his hair like he wants, whilst the silly pompous woman was being indulged.(It was cultural appropriation, Bieber having corn rows/dreads whatever) but when Beyonce took on Indian culture, it wasn't, because an all powerful (b?)millionaire such as her is oppressed and India isn't poor......)

a)You have no respect for a free society if you believe in this.
    b)You are moronic and illogical- please tell me what culture on earth worth it's salt evolved through never changing with time geographical isolation and/or cultural homogeneity? Cultures change, cultures have influences form other places, that is the nature of the world, like the sun coming up and down. What do they want, Christianity only within a 10miles radius of Bethlehem? A ban on Tikka Masala?
    Brits stop appropriating the practice of tea drinking from India?

When I see white people indulging this ****, and the pathetic infantile culture of offence, moral outrage and preciousness(don't get me wrong when something truly is harmful I get it), loss of irony and understanding of liberty and everything that made us what we are and we claim to want to defend, I know we have lost our soul and our minds, these are like the nail in the coffin things that say to me-'never have kids'
    You're bang on the money but it's not really a massive issue since the only people in the world who actually care and whine about it are mongs with nothing better to do.

Yeah, groups like NUS talk about it and social justice warriors harp on about it but, honestly, who actually listens to people like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    An Indian choosing to dance in Indian clothes is one thing but how many choose to dance in Hindu temples wearing very revealing clothes?
    You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1li-qTTZaA

ReputationRep:
    Most of this rubbish comes from wealthy US Uni's like Mizzou College and Claremont McKenna College.

Just watch this video and your laugh at all the rubbish they come out with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    You're bang on the money but it's not really a massive issue since the only people in the world who actually care and whine about it are mongs with nothing better to do.

Yeah, groups like NUS talk about it and social justice warriors harp on about it but, honestly, who actually listens to people like this?
    It gives genuine progressive or leftists causes that are logical a bad name, by being placed in the same category or demographic. I also hate how pompous and devoid of irony it is, another sad facet of what British culture is becoming, I suppose under the weight of globalization.

ReputationRep:
    the highlighted words should never appear in the same document

smh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.