The Student Room Group

Is it normal for unis to give you work to do in time for welcome week?

Just wondering if it's normal for unis to give you work to do before the course starts and due in for welcome week? I thought sessions in welcome week weren't really compulsory as well...:erm:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Just wondering if it's normal for unis to give you work to do before the course starts and due in for welcome week? I thought sessions in welcome week weren't really compulsory as well...:erm:

I've not heard of that happening really, some times welcome week session can be compulsory for example safety lectures or DBS paperwork might need doing.
Reply 2
Yes, you might need to do some reading etc before the course starts so everyone is on the same page.
Original post by claireestelle
I've not heard of that happening really, some times welcome week session can be compulsory for example safety lectures or DBS paperwork might need doing.

Damn:angry: I found a section on the Uni of Cumbria's website that gives three tasks they want you to do and bring in for welcome week ready to discuss:colonhash:
I've only in the past heard of art and similar courses giving out assignments before you even start uni. It's not that common at all from what I've heard from people at various unis and various courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Damn:angry: I found a section on the Uni of Cumbria's website that gives three tasks they want you to do and bring in for welcome week ready to discuss:colonhash:

It's unlikely they'd expect you to put a lot of effort into them, i wouldnt worry too much about it.
It will be very simple, don't worry.
I'm sure not many people would have done it either so not to worry :smile:

Could just say you didn't realise as it's welcome week?
They can be compulsory but you can half-ass them and be totally fine. The sessions in fresher's week I'd recommend going to, it'll be people's first time meeting others on your course so it's a good idea to go and start making friends.

At the end of the day, it's not really down to the university. It's down to the course. My course gave a suggested reading list and said that we should have read that by the time we started a welcoming week. Others may set work that needs to be in purely because the work they do in welcome week will revolve around that or some may not set work at all. It varies.

Sessions in welcome week are... debateable. It's best to say. Work will be down in that time on certain courses - whether it's vital work is a different question.
Best to play it by ear really!
Reply 10
My undergrad department gives out one bit of basic prep work for field trips and introductory sessions during Induction Week. They use it as an indicator of who's going to slack off or start coming up with excuses. Or just not give a toss. It gives them a baseline for the cohort so they can see how things improve as the year goes on.
Original post by Helloworld_95
They can be compulsory but you can half-ass them and be totally fine. The sessions in fresher's week I'd recommend going to, it'll be people's first time meeting others on your course so it's a good idea to go and start making friends.

Ah yes the 'start as you mean to go on' approach. :tongue:

OP, they won't be anything too difficult or taxing at this very early stage, so I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Some unis do have sessions and set work throughout freshers week, some don't. It's a massive pain in the bum and student unions try to steer unis away from this as the first year should be about mixing - not about assignments.

Quick Reply

Latest