Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that there are a lot of countries in Europe that offer medicine courses in english only, but tuition fees are quite high (£600) considering it's hard to get student loans. The countries I've been considering are: Denmark, Austria, Holland, Sweden and Finland as tuition fees are considerably lower. However, can anyone suggest which universities offer Medicine to UK students in English and ways in which I can apply.

Also, does anyone know of any way to secure scholarships to apply to medicine in Bulgaria?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    There are English courses in Milan and Rome- if you study medicine in Italy you are also qualified as a dentist so that's cool. It is a very old fashioned course though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostyjacks4life)
    There are English courses in Milan and Rome- if you study medicine in Italy you are also qualified as a dentist so that's cool. It is a very old fashioned course though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How does it work that you are qualified as a dentist too? can you make residency as a dentist after the license course?

ReputationRep:
    I think so- it's a bit of an odd system but the fees are less than here although you have to pay upfront of course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shugs)
    I know that there are a lot of countries in Europe that offer medicine courses in english only, but tuition fees are quite high (£600) considering it's hard to get student loans. The countries I've been considering are: Denmark, Austria, Holland, Sweden and Finland as tuition fees are considerably lower. However, can anyone suggest which universities offer Medicine to UK students in English and ways in which I can apply.

Also, does anyone know of any way to secure scholarships to apply to medicine in Bulgaria?

Thanks in advance
    Are there really english-taught medicine courses in those nordic countries? I haven't find any. Could you show me them?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Shugs,
    I made this overview for central Europe (Slovakia and Czech Republic) for those, who would like to study medicine abroad in English. These are standard 6 years programmes that ends with degree of MUDr (Doctor of General Medicine) or MDDr. (Doctor of Dental Medicine).
    If any questions, feel free to contact me

1. Faculty of Medicine – Pavel Jozef Šafarik University - Košice,Slovakia – entrance examination written on 22nd of June 2016, extratermin is on 22nd of August 2016 (registration until 21th of June2016 if you have agent). Questions at entrance examination are fromdatabank.

2. Faculty of Medicine – Commenius University - Bratislava, Slovakia –entrance examination written on 27th and 28th of June 2016 (deadlinefor applications is until 27th of May 2016) and 18th and 19th ofAugust 2016 (deadline for applications is until 29th of July 2016).Questions at entrance examination are from databank.

3. Faculty of Medicine – Commenius University - Martin, Slovakia –Required documents must be sent to Mr. Krajcovic. Those, who meetselected criterias are invited for entrance examination. - There aregiven topics for entrance examination from each subject.

4. Faculty of Medicine – Masaryk University - Brno, Czech Republic –14th of May 2016 (registration until 30th of April 2016). There is awritten examination test consisting of 4 areas: Chemistry, Biology,Physics and Mathematics. There is syllabus with themes available.

5. Faculty of Medicine – Palacky University – Olomouc, CzechRepublic – 6. June 2016 - there is need to pass an entranceexamination taken in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics.Level corresponds to the British A-levels.

6. Faculty of Medicine – Charles University - Hradec Králové, CzechRepublic – 18. May 2016 (application deadline until 11th of May2016) – Entrance examination has form of written test fromchemistry, biology, physics and mathematics and short oral interview.

7. Faculty of Medicine – Charles University- Pilsen, Czech Republic –8. June 2016 (deadline 20th of May 2016) - Entrance examination hasform of mutliple choice test from chemistry, biology and physics.

8. First Faculty of Medicine – Charles University – Prague, CzechRepublic – Entrance examination takes place on 10. June 2016 or 24. June 2016

9. Second Faculty of Medicine – Charles University – Prague, CzechRepublic – There are 2 options for being accepted as student: a)SAT test in your own country b) written and oral test – 25. May(deadline 25. April 2016) and 1. July 2016 (deadline is 1. June2016). Written test consists of biology, physics, chemistry or logic(4x 15 questions). Accepted students are invited for personalinterview.

10. Third Faculty of medicine – Charles University – Prague, CzechRepublic – 27. May 2016 (deadline 30. April 2016), 27. June 2016(deadline 31. May 2016). There is an entrance examination from 2parts: in first part, there is multiple choice test (30 questionsfrom chemistry, biology and third test can be chosen between Physicsand Mathematics) and interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am a czech medical student so I think I can be a little helpful here, at least regarding medical schools in Prague.

First faculty of medicine
    - the biggest one but with bad reputation
    - they accept 700 students and kick out 2/3 of them in the first years
    - because of that the atmosphere there isn't very friendly, people don't want to help each other

Second faculty of medicine
    - generally viewed as very good
    - settled in the biggest hospital in the CZ, students go there for practical classes
    - if you want to become a pediatrician this one is the best for you

Third faculty of medicine (my faculty)
    - most modern
    - very friendly, wants to keep it's students
    - highest percentage of foreign students
    - unlike other faculties in the CZ we have a very modern approach to medicine. We start from the cell at which we look from more perspectives (biochemistry, histology, molecular biology...) and then we move on to the bigger parts
    - semester is divided into 5 week modules which forces you to study
    - already in the second month you go to the hospital (our students go to the hospital first of all the students of all faculties)
    - students help each other a lot

If you have any questions feel free to ask 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barborazel)
    Hi! I am a czech medical student so I think I can be a little helpful here, at least regarding medical schools in Prague.

First faculty of medicine
    - the biggest one but with bad reputation
    - they accept 700 students and kick out 2/3 of them in the first years
    - because of that the atmosphere there isn't very friendly, people don't want to help each other

Second faculty of medicine
    - generally viewed as very good
    - settled in the biggest hospital in the CZ, students go there for practical classes
    - if you want to become a pediatrician this one is the best for you

Third faculty of medicine (my faculty)
    - most modern
    - very friendly, wants to keep it's students
    - highest percentage of foreign students
    - unlike other faculties in the CZ we have a very modern approach to medicine. We start from the cell at which we look from more perspectives (biochemistry, histology, molecular biology...) and then we move on to the bigger parts
    - semester is divided into 5 week modules which forces you to study
    - already in the second month you go to the hospital (our students go to the hospital first of all the students of all faculties)
    - students help each other a lot

If you have any questions feel free to ask 😊
    Hey im thinking about applying to Czech for medicine, ive heard from ppl that Charles First faculty is usually considered the best? With the best reputation and hardest to get in? Followed by Charles in HK. As ur a current student, can you give some light on this, and also are the second and third faculties accepted by Californian board and all like the First faculty?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubaistudent101)
    Hey im thinking about applying to Czech for medicine, ive heard from ppl that Charles First faculty is usually considered the best? With the best reputation and hardest to get in? Followed by Charles in HK. As ur a current student, can you give some light on this, and also are the second and third faculties accepted by Californian board and all like the First faculty?
    Thanks
    Not really... Actually the faculty in HK and the second and third are considered the best. Most people don't want to to first and just have it as an insurance choice in case they don't get accepted to second or third. Many people get kicked out and not bevause they are stupid but because there is not enough placecls for people to graduate. In my opinion third is the best but as I said second and HK are also very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barborazel)
    Not really... Actually the faculty in HK and the second and third are considered the best. Most people don't want to to first and just have it as an insurance choice in case they don't get accepted to second or third. Many people get kicked out and not bevause they are stupid but because there is not enough placecls for people to graduate. In my opinion third is the best but as I said second and HK are also very good.
    Hmm thanks, its easier to get into second and third if u have good SAT scores and all yes? As ur a current student u have probably done more research on all of this, so which degree gives you a better chance of landing the better residency options in US and UK? Or are they all the same and depends on your exam scores? Also, PLAB isnt required if you graduate from First faculty, is it the same for the others too?

ReputationRep:
    H so which degree gives you a better chance of landing the better residency options in US and UK? Or are they all the same and depends on your exam scores? Also, PLAB isnt required if you graduate from First faculty, is it the same for the others too?
    The university you attend plays no role in determining whether you will get a residency in the US; there are so many other factors that will determine this e.g. licensing exam scores, US medical and/or research experience and so on. If your medical school is not a US or Canadian medical school, you are lumped under the same category as an FMG; whether you go to Oxford or some Romanian medical school, will play pretty much no role in determining whether you will get a residency in the US, or which residency you will get. For the UK, i'm pretty sure no one would care what medical school you went to; what employers would notice is that your medical school was not in the UK, and whatever decisions they make from that would be based on their own personal biases, or lack thereof.

The requirement to sit the PLAB test does not depend on what medical school you attend. This is the current rule for the PLAB test: EU and UK students graduating from EU or UK medical schools do not have to sit PLAB. Non-EU and Non-UK medical students attending UK institutions do not have to sit PLAB. Non-EU students graduation from any institution outside the UK, whether it be EU or Non-EU institution, have to sit the PLAB.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thanks, its easier to get into second and third if u have good SAT scores and all yes? As ur a current student u have probably done more research on all of this, so which degree gives you a better chance of landing the better residency options in US and UK? Or are they all the same and depends on your exam scores? Also, PLAB isnt required if you graduate from First faculty, is it the same for the others too?
    Regarding the differences between the 3 Prague faculties, the degree you get after finishing them is the same so it will make no difference to the employers whether you studied at the first or at the third. The only difference between them is how they teach and how they approach and take care of their students.

Regarding working in a hospital in the USA I know that it is not possible to do right after school. You have to pass some exams but I don't really know any details. Try google it, I'm sure there will be something.

I'm quite sure that you should have no problem getting a job in the UK right after getting your degree in the CZ. They both fall under the same EU rules and have to teach you the same things. Whether or not that will change after Brexit is another question but I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slovakguy)
    Hi Shugs,
    I made this overview for central Europe (Slovakia and Czech Republic) for those, who would like to study medicine abroad in English. These are standard 6 years programmes that ends with degree of MUDr (Doctor of General Medicine) or MDDr. (Doctor of Dental Medicine).
    If any questions, feel free to contact me

1. Faculty of Medicine – Pavel Jozef Šafarik University - Košice,Slovakia – entrance examination written on 22nd of June 2016, extratermin is on 22nd of August 2016 (registration until 21th of June2016 if you have agent). Questions at entrance examination are fromdatabank.

2. Faculty of Medicine – Commenius University - Bratislava, Slovakia –entrance examination written on 27th and 28th of June 2016 (deadlinefor applications is until 27th of May 2016) and 18th and 19th ofAugust 2016 (deadline for applications is until 29th of July 2016).Questions at entrance examination are from databank.

3. Faculty of Medicine – Commenius University - Martin, Slovakia –Required documents must be sent to Mr. Krajcovic. Those, who meetselected criterias are invited for entrance examination. - There aregiven topics for entrance examination from each subject.

4. Faculty of Medicine – Masaryk University - Brno, Czech Republic –14th of May 2016 (registration until 30th of April 2016). There is awritten examination test consisting of 4 areas: Chemistry, Biology,Physics and Mathematics. There is syllabus with themes available.

5. Faculty of Medicine – Palacky University – Olomouc, CzechRepublic – 6. June 2016 - there is need to pass an entranceexamination taken in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics.Level corresponds to the British A-levels.

6. Faculty of Medicine – Charles University - Hradec Králové, CzechRepublic – 18. May 2016 (application deadline until 11th of May2016) – Entrance examination has form of written test fromchemistry, biology, physics and mathematics and short oral interview.

7. Faculty of Medicine – Charles University- Pilsen, Czech Republic –8. June 2016 (deadline 20th of May 2016) - Entrance examination hasform of mutliple choice test from chemistry, biology and physics.

8. First Faculty of Medicine – Charles University – Prague, CzechRepublic – Entrance examination takes place on 10. June 2016 or 24. June 2016

9. Second Faculty of Medicine – Charles University – Prague, CzechRepublic – There are 2 options for being accepted as student: a)SAT test in your own country b) written and oral test – 25. May(deadline 25. April 2016) and 1. July 2016 (deadline is 1. June2016). Written test consists of biology, physics, chemistry or logic(4x 15 questions). Accepted students are invited for personalinterview.

10. Third Faculty of medicine – Charles University – Prague, CzechRepublic – 27. May 2016 (deadline 30. April 2016), 27. June 2016(deadline 31. May 2016). There is an entrance examination from 2parts: in first part, there is multiple choice test (30 questionsfrom chemistry, biology and third test can be chosen between Physicsand Mathematics) and interview.
    do u have any sources i can study from for the entrance exam for Charles HK....i really need to pass my entrance exam is after 2 weeks almost. passing mark is 40/60

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.