Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

best place for sightseeing and shopping at uk watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    north London - Brent Cross or The Harlequin (ahhh beautiful watford)
    urgh brent cross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Dont go to the london Dungeons tho, proper rubbish and really expensive
    I'm on their current leaflet, dressed as a dead thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    urgh brent cross.
    Ditto - although is close to Ikea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The Trafford Centre is better than Bluewater though.
    Yeah but its 'up north' so it dosn't count Just like my research showed how much worse north west universities are compared to the rest of the company.

The Arndale which is current Europe's biggest city centre indoor shopping centre will become the biggest indoor shopping centre in the UK. Bigger than Bluewater (although the Trafford Centre already is) and bigger than TC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yeah but its 'up north' so it dosn't count Just like my research showed how much worse north west universities are compared to the rest of the company.

The Arndale which is current Europe's biggest city centre indoor shopping centre will become the biggest indoor shopping centre in the UK. Bigger than Bluewater (although the Trafford Centre already is) and bigger than TC.
    Ummm the UK is in Europe

ReputationRep:

Bluewater is bigger than the Trafford Centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Ummm the UK is in Europe
    Yes but Europe is not UK. UK is in Europe. I said indoor shopping centre, not indoor city shopping centre. The arndale is currently the biggest indoor shopping centre in a city centre in Europe. It will become the biggest shopping centre in the UK regardless of if its ina city centre or not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but Europe is not UK. UK is in Europe. I said indoor shopping centre, not indoor city shopping centre. The arndale is currently the biggest indoor shopping centre in a city centre in Europe. It will become the biggest shopping centre in the UK regardless of if its ina city centre or not.
    Ok cool

Bath is quite a nice place for tourists and sight-seeing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The metrocentre in Gateshead is in fact the biggest mall in the UK, some southern-propaganda machine figures say otherwise but they only take into account shop space apparently, and not all of the other crap like the station or IKEA et al, which the Guiness book of records does and recognises it as such. Although its being extended in October so it will once again be the biggest mall of any type in Europe, apparently.

And Newcastle is excellent for shopping too. So come here, there aren't many southerners.
    Little known fact: the first Ikea in Britian was built, of all places, in Warrington.

And very nice it is too, near Marks and Sparks.

[/little known fact]

So come here, there aren't many southerners.
    What are you implying?

ReputationRep:
    Little known fact: the first Ikea in Britian was built, of all places, in Warrington.

And very nice it is too, near Marks and Sparks.

[/little known fact]
    Another little kown fact the worlds first M&S store was in Hulme, Manchester. After the 1996 IRA bomb Manchester had the largest M&S store in the world, however it was too big so it was split into M&S and Selfridges. The Ardnale will be huge once all the extension is complete though in 2006.

ReputationRep:
    Another little kown fact the worlds first M&S store was in Hulme, Manchester. After the 1996 IRA bomb Manchester had the largest M&S store in the world, however it was too big so it was split into M&S and Selfridges. The Ardnale will be huge once all the extension is complete though in 2006.
    That's becuase the big M&S was crap, or so my mum thought.

Nice cafe though, if a little cramped.

ReputationRep:
    How's Newcastle for shopping etc? I'm an overseas student and my family will be coming to Durham with me. I've heard there's not that much to see over there, so they'll be in London then Newcastle...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    How's Newcastle for shopping etc? I'm an overseas student and my family will be coming to Durham with me. I've heard there's not that much to see over there, so they'll be in London then Newcastle...
    Newcastle's a very nice city, or at least it was last time I visited, plenty to keep you occupied.

ReputationRep:
    That's becuase the big M&S was crap, or so my mum thought.

Nice cafe though, if a little cramped.
    I never really go in but I think the problem was it was too difficult for them to fill it with stock and it was loosing a lot of money. I am still old enough to remember the old M&S before the bomb. I am amazed nobody was killed in this really

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/Co...largeImage.jpg

My favourite clothes shop in Manchester though is Primark

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle's a very nice city, or at least it was last time I visited, plenty to keep you occupied.
    Thanks for that Anyway, it'll all be nicer than what's here. We have a population of 300,000 people in the entire country and not much to see except for oil rigs and gold plated hotels. We don't even have alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience there's nowhere better between Manchester and Edinburgh...
    I've never been to Newcastle but its on my hit list, I have been through it when I went to Edinburgh though.

I heared Leeds is good for shopping but its probably loosing out because of the massive regeneration seen in places like Manchester and Newcastle. I think Liverpool is badly hit as well. Its functional but the only touristy bit is Albert Docks, the city centre itself is a bit basic.

ReputationRep:
    I never really go in but I think the problem was it was too difficult for them to fill it with stock and it was loosing a lot of money. I am still old enough to remember the old M&S before the bomb. I am amazed nobody was killed in this really

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/Co...largeImage.jpg

My favourite clothes shop in Manchester though is Primark
    I remember M&S in Manchester before the bomb, vaguely...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been shopping in Manchester though so I couldn't comment on it (that's why I said what I said), but its debatable whether Edinburgh is 'better', its completely different so they aren't really comparable. Haven't been to Liverpool at all. I have been to Bristol though, and its rubbish for shopping IMO. Cribbs Causeway? Mickey Mouse mate.
    I found Edinburgh rather small its better than Liverpool for shopping and has some lovely views but it wasn't really like I expected it to be but then I guess even Liverpool seems quite small to me and thats one of the largest cities in the UK.

Its funny how nobody has mention that peice of concrete in the west midlands in this thread

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.