Turn on thread page Beta

best place for sightseeing and shopping at uk watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The Trafford Centre is better than Bluewater though.
    Since I have not heard of the trafford center and subsiquently cannot easily get to it, I shall still say bluewater.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh - This city is so gorgeous, has a lot to see and do. And ohmygosh is the shopping amazing! The city isn't massive at all, which is great meaning you get a feeling of accomplishment when you leave.

Liverpool - Boring shops or so I thought, but the people talk so great and it made me feel really English. Em, the Beetles rule this city and it's definitelty great for that.

York - Very pretty, loads to do and has fantastic shops (ie. unique ones).

Durham - Very, very pretty and shops are okay. It has a Lush.

Harrogate - Shops are **** (ie. shops which every town has like TKMaxx, Topshop etc.), but nice bars and pretty things to see.

Chester - Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous and lovely shops.

Other places worth a visit: Brighton, London, Shrewsbury, Oxford, Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol, Whitby, Glasgow, Cambridge, Stamford, Lincoln, Scarbourough, Norwich, Stratford-Upon-Avon (fantastic 'cause it has sooo much Shakespeare stuff!) and Leeds.

I'd say that's about it for good places, I think. :s

ReputationRep:
    its gota be oxford street(every saturday! )
    topshop there is amazing 3 floors of a shoppers heaven
    plus london is just generally exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Edin

I'd say that's about it for good places, I think. :s
    Thanks for that! I'm definitely looking forward to my stay in the UK now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Since I have not heard of the trafford center and subsiquently cannot easily get to it, I shall still say bluewater.
    Its in Greater Manchester, in Trafford Park, about 4 miles from the city centre. Its got some exlclusive shops such as Selfridges but I find all the shops to be a bit too posh and expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Thanks for that! I'm definitely looking forward to my stay in the UK now
    Oooh! Lucky you (hehe, why am I saying that? But I love touring around the UK. ). Where are you planning on going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    its gota be oxford street(every saturday! )
    topshop there is amazing 3 floors of a shoppers heaven
    plus london is just generally exciting.
    Oxford ST is ok, but I prefer Tottenham Court Road, erm all them lovely juicy sexy electronics shops. I do like London but I prefer Paris and its almost as easy to get from me

ReputationRep:
    Or why not try Burnley? Where a shopping experience really is an "experience"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its in Greater Manchester, in Trafford Park, about 4 miles from the city centre. Its got some exlclusive shops such as Selfridges but I find all the shops to be a bit too posh and expensive.
    that would be why then, I doubt many people would go all the way up to manchester just to go to traffords. Bluewater suffices for all shopping needs, although the only shops I need are in chatham, game, in the pentagon, and gamestation, at the back of the blockbuster.

ReputationRep:
    Or why not try Burnley? Where a shopping experience really is an "experience"
    Well most of prefer not to get shot (actually I am sure its not that rough).

Witherin-

The Trafford Centre serves the North West, which includes North Staffordshire, Manchester, Liverpool, West Yorkshire, Lancaster and even southern cumbria. Thats quite a few million people. While Blue Water is for people who live in the South East. I don't know what you would do if you live in the Midlands as both shopping centres are in similar distance. I guess they go to Bull Ring which is supposed to be very large now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Oooh! Lucky you (hehe, why am I saying that? But I love touring around the UK. ). Where are you planning on going?
    September 24th I'll take an 18 hour flight to the UK...

I'll be there for 3 years anyway for Uni and a 4th year for the Bar I'm excited now.

ReputationRep:
    how about others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yeah but its 'up north' so it dosn't count Just like my research showed how much worse north west universities are compared to the rest of the company.

The Arndale which is current Europe's biggest city centre indoor shopping centre will become the biggest indoor shopping centre in the UK. Bigger than Bluewater (although the Trafford Centre already is) and bigger than TC.

When Bluewater was built (about 5 years ago) it was hailed as the largest shopping mall in Europe.

Were Arndale and Trafford built subsequently? If not, then Bluewater has the accolade of being the largest (certainly from amongst those in the UK).

ReputationRep:
    where is blue water located?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    When Bluewater was built (about 5 years ago) it was hailed as the largest shopping mall in Europe.

Were Arndale and Trafford built subsequently? If not, then Bluewater has the accolade of being the largest (certainly from amongst those in the UK).
    Trafford Centre is a year older than Bluewater, though that is remarkable for its environment, not its size.

The Arndale centre is quite old but it has been expanded substantially and is being expanded as we speak to go out near the Filmworks.

ReputationRep:
    Yep the Trafford Centre was built in 1998 and it is truly remarkable inside www.traffordcentre.co.uk, it cost £650 million to build.

The Ardnale was built in 1976 and extended in 1978. It was then party rebuilt after the 1996 IRA bomb which was completed in 1999, now it is being extended and it will be a lot bigger than it was.

The Trafford Centre also double as a night life, venue although its not my thing.

I think The MetroCentre in Gateshead is officialy the biggest shopping centre in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Bluewater only cost £350 million to build

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/do_see/sho...luewater.shtml

As Lord H said the thing about the TC is the design not the size, it has marble floors and everything, it makes the Meadowhall in Shefield which opened in 1989 seem very dated.

ReputationRep:
    The Trafford Centre is better than Bluewater though.

Erm..... no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Erm..... no.
    Have you ever been?

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing how much Northerners care about the North / South divide. I never really gave it second thought until I went to Uni and discovered how much of an inferiority complex our Northern friends have.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.