Turn on thread page Beta

best place for sightseeing and shopping at uk watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I didn't. I simply pointed out that the Northerners (i.e. amazingtrade and Lord H.) always hijack these kinds of threads and refuse to acknowledge anything South of Birmingham. It then develops into a pathetic argument over why Manchester is better than Birmingham, Liverpool is better than London, etc...
    Sadly I'm getting involved.
    No I am always willing to admit that Coventry exists. I think you will also see I made a comment on this thread saying that I liked Tottenon(sP) Court Road in London.

ReputationRep:
    Laing O'Rourke. Although I believe it was O'Rourke at the time.
    actually, it was a specially formed Consortium - actually knowing someone who did work on Bluewater (the Carpentry contract). Bovis were were main contractor....

ReputationRep:
    I didn't. I simply pointed out that the Northerners (i.e. amazingtrade and Lord H.) always hijack these kinds of threads and refuse to acknowledge anything South of Birmingham. It then develops into a pathetic argument over why Manchester is better than Birmingham, Liverpool is better than London, etc...
    Sadly I'm getting involved.
    I know what you mean. I like my city, but I have better things to than sit and argue about it. I'm not the arrogant kind of person that says it's better than places I've never been to just because the radio said so (and they do, that's the problem, the radio stations in these cities encourage such a fierce local identity, "Music for Britain's greatest city," sure).

ReputationRep:
    best place for sightseeing has to be slough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    No I am always willing to admit that Coventry exists. I think you will also see I made a comment on this thread saying that I liked Tottenon(sP) Court Road in London.
    Can I point out that geographically, Coventry is totally east of Birmingham, so it isn't south at all and doesn't prove anything?

Lets see... Do you admit that Oxford exists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    actually, it was a specially formed Consortium - actually knowing someone who did work on Bluewater (the Carpentry contract). Bovis were were main contractor....
    Yep as confirmed here

Although the CICC partners are large firms, there is an emphasis on creating a technologically advanced base of SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) as sub-contractors. The construction project we have investigated is Bluewater (building a shopping centre in Kent) managed by Bovis, with Ove Arup, BICC and BT as sub-contractors. In addition, there are over 120 sub-contracting SMEs who are also equipped with CICC technology

http://www.rhbnc.ac.uk/~uhtm059/cicc.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Can I point out that geographically, Coventry is totally east of Birmingham, so it isn't south at all and doesn't prove anything?

I was being sarcastic does this not exist South of Stockport?

ReputationRep:
    I was being sarcastic does this not exist South of Stockport?
    Huh? Yes of course it's all south of Stockport.

Although the CICC partners are large firms, there is an emphasis on creating a technologically advanced base of SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) as sub-contractors. The construction project we have investigated is Bluewater (building a shopping centre in Kent) managed by Bovis, with Ove Arup, BICC and BT as sub-contractors. In addition, there are over 120 sub-contracting SMEs who are also equipped with CICC technology
    Sorry to be a pain in the ass but is this discussion really going anywhere?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Oxford maybe - banbury on the other hand is a fictitious creation purely to confuse us :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Yep as confirmed here

http://www.rhbnc.ac.uk/~uhtm059/cicc.html
    Oh! That's interesting! Ove Arup were contractors on the Poulty Market at Smithfield - home of the worlds largest unsupported concrete roof! Fascinating huh!

ReputationRep:
    True, but O'Rourke were responsible for much of its construction.

ReputationRep:
    True, but O'Rourke were responsible for much of its construction.
    Evidenced by....
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh! That's interesting! Ove Arup were contractors on the Poulty Market at Smithfield - home of the worlds largest unsupported concrete roof! Fascinating huh!
    Birmingham - more canals than venice...venice has nicer weather though.

I have a fondness for brum, partially because my sister lives there but mainly because of the Raspberry and White Chocolate Millie's Cookies sold at Birmingham New St which are an essential part of every northbound train journey that I take :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Birmingham - more canals than venice...venice has nicer weather though.

I have a fondness for brum, partially because my sister lives there but mainly because of the Raspberry and White Chocolate Millie's Cookies sold at Birmingham New St which are an essential part of every northbound train journey that I take :cool:
    I'm a Brummy Not sure why that's really relevant - it's not like I own the canals or ought, but I do like going back there! Shopping is also fab in Brum

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Brummy Not sure why that's really relevant - it's not like I own the canals or ought, but I do like going back there! Shopping is also fab in Brum
    Lol, are we hijacking this into an I-Love-Brum thread?

I like this place myself though... is it true or is it just myth that in London people don't even say thankyou to the driver when they get off a bus? Shocking!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Beiong incredibly shallow I have to admit that one of the reason I like the trafford centre is because it's home to not one but TWO millies cookies shops

*feeds cookie addiction*

I like Liverpool because it has 2 Ravels when the south coast has none

ReputationRep:
    I like this place myself though... is it true or is it just myth that in London people don't even say thankyou to the driver when they get off a bus? Shocking!
    I always do - although you usually get stared at as if you're some kind of freak!

ReputationRep:
    Evidenced by....

This

ReputationRep:
    Lol, are we hijacking this into an I-Love-Brum thread?

When I go to London and say thank you to the bus driver I get funny looks as if I was very odd. I don't think it is a myth, although Londoners seem to quite friendly when asking for directions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigcnee)
    http://www.beonline.co.uk/Activities/%20Conference/RCF/01_mn_public/MP_sb_orourke.htm
    Eh?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.