Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is our relationship going too fast?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Please don't quote.

So I have been going out with this guy for a month now. (He told me today that it'd been exactly a month since he asked me out). He started calling me his girlfriend like a week after we started dating and he's already told me he wants a serious relationship with me. We text every day and see each other every couple days. He makes it very clearly that he likes me (tells me, wants to know more about me, wants to help me etc). He has been wonderful so far and has been really helpful in terms of everything actually including unii work and my mental health. We know where the other lives already and I've met his sister. And the other day he asked me if it was okay if he could hang out with this friend who was a female and it was only going to be them because his other friends had cancelled on this event (to do with a hobby that I don't have an interest in). I found this strange cause I mean we have only been going out for a couple weeks and he is already asking me permission. Of course I had no problem saying I don't mind and that I trust him etc and that its cute that he asked.

BUT I feel like in any other relationship to get to this stage at least 2/3 months would have gone by but its only been like a month for us. Is he/are we slightly rushing the relationship?? I do not mind any of the above because I do like him but I feel like its all happening way earlier than it should be?? Like I would feel more comfortable if at least 2/3 months had gone by but I think one month to him is a long time? I'm not sure. So do you think the relationship is going to "fast" or is at a way to "advanced" stage for only a month?? How do I slow things down a little without offending him?? Although I don't think it could go any faster now.

Please don't quote.

ReputationRep:
    Take a fast car and keep on driving
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It sounds too fast for me. But that's me. Some people might be ok with it.

ReputationRep:
    Boot him in the head lyk duknoe

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you're questioning it says a lot really. Imo it is going really fast. The only thing you can do is talk to him. Tell him that you think things are going too fast. You have all the time in the world for your relationship to grow and for you to get to know each other. What's the point in rushing? Sometimes a relationship can end just as quickly as it began.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    The fact that you're questioning it says a lot really. Imo it is going really fast. The only thing you can do is talk to him. Tell him that you think things are going too fast. You have all the time in the world for your relationship to grow and for you to get to know each other. What's the point in rushing? Sometimes a relationship can end just as quickly as it began.
    How do I tell him without him thinking that I don't like him enough etc?? If he says stuff like "how do I slow down" or "how are we going to fast?" etc How do I respond?? Like its just the small things like I mentioned that make it feel like its all going a bit fast and I don't know if I'd be able to explain it all to him? So what could I say?? I don't want him to like stop texting me or stop liking me or start getting self conscience about being clingy but then again I don't want to rush it so much that I start disliking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgili)
    Take a fast car and keep on driving
    (Original post by Chayzers)
    Boot him in the head lyk duknoe
    what ??

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a little odd, may be he's inexperienced or just overjoyed!

ReputationRep:
    Stop being a punani and carry on with it, if i were him and heard you chat this breeze i wudda dumped yo ass by now ungrateful bumbaclart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Sounds a little odd, may be he's inexperienced or just overjoyed!
    Maybe he just thinks it's silly to delay something for no reason? What exactly is the problem OP. You either like him and want him in your life or you don't, if you wasn't clear about this you shouldn't have made him your boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he just thinks it's silly to delay something for no reason? What exactly is the problem OP. You either like him and him in your life or you don't, if you wasn't clear about this you shouldn't have made him your boyfriend.
    You can definitely rush it too quickly though, you know when something seems to good to be true. Plus it just seems more natural to become more interested as you're together for longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    You can definitely rush it too quickly though, you know when something seems to good to be true. Plus it just seems more natural to become more interested as you're together for longer.
    Only in time, reality is if you see each other every day for a month you've likely got a closer connection than someone who who sees their spouse once a month (which happens in some LDRs). I get it, you need to trust people and let them in slowly, but maybe it's just me, I don't really date people I haven't already known enough to trust.

Heck i've had trust broken by someone i've known for a very long time so it's pointless to think it always grows really.

ReputationRep:
    You can not really put a time frame on when something should happen in a "relationship". Ever watch Jeremy Kyle? those people on there get married after a week and for some of them it lasts whilst for others it don't. Some people get married after 10 years together then the marriage breaks down months later so there really is no time frame on things to happen in a relationship.

I think the most importnat thing is that he makes you happy and that you feel comfortable with the way he is acting.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the poster above. Putting timeframes on things just makes things more difficult than they need to be.

He hasn't said that he loves you yet has he?

He's treating you with respect and helping you through your problems no? Just because your relationship isn't like the norm doesn't mean that it's moving too fast.

Even if it was, he's not forcing it through is he? He's just being his natural self. I don't have a problem with that.

If he was already talking about moving in together and baby names then i think you've got a cause for concern.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he just thinks it's silly to delay something for no reason? What exactly is the problem OP. You either like him and want him in your life or you don't, if you wasn't clear about this you shouldn't have made him your boyfriend.
    There is no problem but like others said it can end as easily as it started so I'm just being cautious. I don't invest myself emotionally very easily (previous trust issues) and therefore for him to do it so quickly kind of surprised me. I would have preferred more interest the longer we were together etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.