Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I want to change name but am not sure how to begin doing this and how this will affect everything.

I've got a place at a University and just realised that on my ID it's gonna have my current name on there.... so was just wondering what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    my name got changed when i was 7
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Hello,

I want to change name but am not sure how to begin doing this and how this will affect everything.

I've got a place at a University and just realised that on my ID it's gonna have my current name on there.... so was just wondering what I should do?
    You will need to get yourself a deed poll, you can buy one online, if you pay more for an enrolled one and official copy gets kept somewhere. https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/overview You then need to phone or write a letter to everyone with your records and they should change it for you, you ll need a new passport and driving license done i believe both will have a fee to do this. Your uni should be able to give you a new id and if you're quick enough you can change it with your exam boards so your a level certificates will be in your new name. When i changed my name it took a good month to get everything in my new name. Oh and finally you cant actually change whats on your birth certificate.

I changed mine 4 years ago when i was 17 so if you need any help let me know

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to change your name?

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty straightforward and free to do. The most time-consuming part is informing everyone of your new name. This site has full instructions: http://freedeedpoll.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You will need to get yourself a deed poll, you can buy one online, if you pay more for an enrolled one and official copy gets kept somewhere. https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/overview You then need to phone or write a letter to everyone with your records and they should change it for you, you ll need a new passport and driving license done i believe both will have a fee to do this. Your uni should be able to give you a new id and if you're quick enough you can change it with your exam boards so your a level certificates will be in your new name. When i changed my name it took a good month to get everything in my new name. Oh and finally you cant actually change whats on your birth certificate.

I had not considered the passport and driving license.... that'd be a good £100 there....

Perhaps I should keep my current name as my official name and the name I'd like to change it to as, kind of, a stage name of sorts or something?

ReputationRep:

You don't need to pay for a deed poll.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I had not considered the passport and driving license.... that'd be a good £100 there....

Perhaps I should keep my current name as my official name and the name I'd like to change it to as, kind of, a stage name of sorts or something?
    How long is left on your passport? They would put 9 months on the new one if there's any left over. I believe it is technically legal to keep your passport in your old name until it expires but you have to change your driving license for sure.Name changes are free for driving licenses though

ReputationRep:
    How long is left on your passport? They would put 9 months on the new one if there's any left over. I believe it is technically legal to keep your passport in your old name until it expires but you have to change your driving license for sure.Name changes are free for driving licenses though
    Ah. I might consider it.

I kind of feel I have to do it now what with going to University, otherwise I'll be stuck with my old name or something.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    You don't need to pay for a deed poll.
    Sorry yes you can write your own for free My bank was funny about having a DIY one so ended up paying for one in the end.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ah. I might consider it.

I kind of feel I have to do it now what with going to University, otherwise I'll be stuck with my old name or something.
    I mean yeah it does take time to change stuff but you wont be stuck if you dont change it now, although it would probably be easier.

ReputationRep:
    You can simply email Deedpoll your predicament. They reply fast so it won't be a problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.