Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just been told by my doctor today that I wouldn't be entitled for disability allowance because my vision isn't ****. (Glaucoma). So I went to my SF account to change my detail, but I couldn't remove the disability allowances form under the "Your to-do list".

The question: If I sent off the declaration form and the parent form ONLY with the Disabled Students Allowance form still under the Your to-do list, would they accept it or would they tell me to fvck off and to apply again next year?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's not your doctors decision. How does having glaucoma affect your ability to study? That's what student finance want to know.

Why does your GP think you won't be entitled? it's to help you be on as a level playing field as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's not your doctors decision. How does having glaucoma affect your ability to study? That's what student finance want to know.

Why does your GP think you won't be entitled? it's to help you be on as a level playing field as possible.
    They told me that my vision isn't very severe so I wouldn't get anything from them.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesosleepy)
    They told me that my vision isn't very severe so I wouldn't get anything from them.
    DSA is designed to help with any problems uni life and studying might cause you. If you won't have any problems, then you won't need DSA. However glaucoma doesn't seem trivial. Can you think of study or uni life aspects which would be difficult specifically because of it?

I would say that you'll struggle to get DSA without your GP's support, unless you can get your consultant to write the necessary supporting letter instead. However, it isn't your GP or consultant who decides whether you get it or not.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    My understanding of gluacoma is limited. (I know it's the pressure at the back of the eye) But talking in general, (I'm partially sighted due to inheriting problems with my optic nerves and eye muscles) for someone with a visual impairment, it would mostly be things like reading and possibly getting around safely.

You wouldn't have to be registered as partially sighted or blind to get DSA. It's purely based, as mentioned above, how your condition affects your ability to study.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.