Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how do you do the unique factorisation theorem? I don't get it ?? please help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayu123)
    how do you do the unique factorisation theorem? I don't get it ?? please help me
    so basically just divide the number using prime numbers then write it up.

for example using the "Unique factorisation theorem" as you put it on the number 200

5 is a prime number so i can use that

200 \div 5 = 40

40 \div 5 =8

2 is a prime number too so i can use that

8 \div 2=4

4 \div 2=2

so now we count up how many times we had to divide the number 200 by prime numbers, we also need to include the last number which is 2 aswell

so we have 2 5s and 3 2s so we can write this in the form 2^3 \times 5^2 =200

ReputationRep:
    It's more commonly called the "fundamental theorem of arithmetic" - to prove this theorem, you need to make use of Euclid's Lemma. That is, p | ab \Rightarrow p | a \vee p | b.

Use strong induction to show that every integer greater than 1 is a product of primes. The proof is quite elementary.

The uniqueness part is slightly harder, assume an integer is a product of primes in two different ways: a = p_1\cdots p_n = q_1 \cdots q_m then we need to show that this is the same thing and m=n.

Now use Euclid's Lemma on each p_i and q_i to show that p_i = q_i (up to relabelling).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    so basically just divide the number using prime numbers then write it up.

for example using the "Unique factorisation theorem" as you put it on the number 200

5 is a prime number so i can use that

200 \div 5 = 40

40 \div 5 =8

2 is a prime number too so i can use that

8 \div 2=4

4 \div 2=2

so now we count up how many times we had to divide the number 200 by prime numbers, we also need to include the last number which is 2 aswell

so we have 2 5s and 3 2s so we can write this in the form 2^3 \times 5^2 =200
    thanks for the most detailed answer thanks but I still don't get the last part ow u got the answer.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the most detailed answer thanks but I still don't get the last part ow u got the answer.
    \displaystyle 200 = 2 \times 100 = 2\times 2 \times 50 = 2 \times 2 \times 2 \times 25 = 2 \times 2 \times 2 \times 5 \times 5 = 2^3 \times 5^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    \displaystyle 200 = 2 \times 100 = 2\times 2 \times 50 = 2 \times 2 \times 2 \times 25 = 2 \times 2 \times 2 \times 5 \times 5 = 2^3 \times 5^2
    ^^ this is exactly correct
    200= 5x40
    200= 5x5x8
    200= 5x5x2x4
    200= 5x5x2x2x2
    200= 5²x2³
    ^^ write this one because it's in its simplest form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    ^^ this is exactly correct
    200= 5x40
    200= 5x5x8
    200= 5x5x2x4
    200= 5x5x2x2x2
    200= 5²x2³
    ^^ write this one because it's in its simplest form
    okay ty fo rhelp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    ty for lot of detail made sense now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.