Kidney Watch

Banana ice-cream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is a basal channel? Apparently it's found in the proximal convoluted tubule and it helps with selective re-absorption of glomeruler filtrate. How does it help?
Gaiaphage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Banana ice-cream)
What is a basal channel? Apparently it's found in the proximal convoluted tubule and it helps with selective re-absorption of glomeruler filtrate. How does it help?
A basal channel is any channel in the basolateral membrane, for example the K+ channel which helps to prevent K+ buildup in the cell due to the Na+/K+-ATPase. They're found throughout the kidney but the PCT does a lot of the reabsorption so there will be lots of basal channels. It will help with making concentration gradients and you can reabsorb certain things depending on what concentration gradients you have
Banana ice-cream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Gaiaphage)
A basal channel is any channel in the basolateral membrane, for example the K+ channel which helps to prevent K+ buildup in the cell due to the Na+/K+-ATPase. They're found throughout the kidney but the PCT does a lot of the reabsorption so there will be lots of basal channels. It will help with making concentration gradients and you can reabsorb certain things depending on what concentration gradients you have
Thanx. What's the basolateral membrane? So it's basically an ion pump? Or does it just help with facilitated diffusion?
Gaiaphage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Banana ice-cream)
Thanx. What's the basolateral membrane? So it's basically an ion pump? Or does it just help with facilitated diffusion?
Ah sorry, I didn't see that this was A level. The renal tubule (where the filtrate from the Bowman's capsule goes) is separated from the interstitial fluid of the kidney by a layer of cells, and there are different channels on each side. The side of the cell that's in contact with the tubule is called the tubular membrane, and the side of the cell that's in contact with the interstitial fluid is called the basolateral membrane. So channels on the basolateral membrane will move things from the cell into the interstitium and vice versa, which is effectively back into the bloodstream.

Technically, channels and ion pumps are different (channels are passive, pumps are active) so yes it just helps with facilitated diffusion.

I'm a first year medic with exams coming up soon and I'm currently revising the kidney which is where I got all this from, you won't need to know it for A level! But hopefully it'll help you understand it which is always helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (699)
80.44%
Leave (170)
19.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed