Waves multiple choice quesion Watch

JakeRStudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A progressive wave in a stretched string has a speed of 20m/s and a frequency of 100Hz. What is the phase difference of two points 25mm apart?
A zero
B PI/4
C PI/2
D PI

I originally worked out the wavelength by use of the wave equation, and got 0.2m.
I then converted the 25mm to m which is 0.025m. By dividing 0.2 by 0.025 I got 8. Meaning that the two points are 1/8 of a wavelength apart. I then changed this into radians by use of a diagram.
I was just wondering if there was any better way to do the last section after figuring out the wavelength as the way I've done it has confused myself
tamanna___
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From speed and frequency you can calculate wavelength which comes out to be 0.2 meters or 200 mm As 200 mm gives a phase difference of 360 or 2pi rads then 25 mm will give pi/4 rads

I found this as a solution online.. I dont know if it makes sense or not i havnt learnt about phase difference
GarlicBread01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you know that the two points are 1/8 wavelength apart,
one whole wavelength = 2π so then

phase = 1/8 x 2π
= 1/4 π

atleast thats how I'd do it, not sure if theres an easier way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (49)
44.95%
Pro-humanity (60)
55.05%