A2 AQA Confusing find pH question

Watch this thread
Applicant75235
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Name:  chem4 ph.png
Views: 277
Size:  62.5 KB
KaylaB
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by koolgurl14)
Name:  chem4 ph.png
Views: 277
Size:  62.5 KB
When water is added, does the solution become stronger or weaker?
ghostmarston
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
First calculate the moles of Hcl= 0.154*10/1000=1.54x10-3
then calculate the new concentration of Hcl after adding water= 1.54x10-3/(990+10)*1000=1.54x10-3
then caluclate pH= -log(1.54x10-3)=2.81
Applicant75235
Rep:
(Original post by ghostmarston)
First calculate the moles of Hcl= 0.154*10/1000=1.54x10-3
then calculate the new concentration of Hcl after adding water= 1.54x10-3/(990+10)*1000=1.54x10-3
then caluclate pH= -log(1.54x10-3)=2.81
dividing with 0.1 deffo wont give u the same number?
Applicant75235
Rep:
(Original post by KaylaB)
Weaker?
ghostmarston
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
where did you get 0.1 from?
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I know what you mean but that question doesn't make much sense.
KaylaB
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by koolgurl14)
Weaker?
Exactly, as the answers has been posted above, just remember that the general way to do these questions is to calculate the amount of moles of the acid in the beginning, then calculate the concentration of the acid for the total volume, then find the pH as you would normally
KaylaB
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by B_9710)
I know what you mean but that question doesn't make much sense.
Care to elaborate?
B_9710
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You know the concentration of H+ in water at 298k is around  10^{-7} \text{M} , using n=cv you can work out the moles of H+ in the water.
Then you want to work out the moles of H+ added to the solution.
Then use pH = -\log[\text{H}^+] .
B_9710
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Care to elaborate?
Well depending on what you add to a solution, the solution could get more strongly acidic, more strongly alkaline, or more weakly acidic or alkaline.
KaylaB
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well depending on what you add to a solution, the solution could get more strongly acidic, more strongly alkaline, or more weakly acidic or alkaline.
I said about adding water a neutral substance, which can be used for dilution
SubwayLover1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Use the formula :

H+ new =[H+] old x Old Volume / New Volume
B_9710
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I said about adding water a neutral substance, which can be used for dilution
That's not what the question said though. But yeah cool I'm not saying your wrong though.
KaylaB
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
That's not what the question said though. But yeah cool I'm not saying your wrong though.
It literally says in the question that the HCl is added to 990cm^3 of water
B_9710
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It literally says in the question that the HCl is added to 990cm^3 of water
So does adding acid to water make the solution stronger?
KaylaB
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
So does adding acid to water make the solution stronger?
Well there isn't really a concentration of water, so adding some acid to water would still just make a dilute acid
B_9710
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well there isn't really a concentration of water, so adding some acid to water would still just make a dilute acid
Yeah I know, this is why what you said doesn't make much sense, the acid gets more dilute, but you can't say it gets weaker. pH does not really tell you how strong an acid is unless you're comparing 2 acids with same conc.
KaylaB
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I know, this is why what you said doesn't make much sense, the acid gets more dilute, but you can't say it gets weaker. pH does not really tell you how strong an acid is unless you're comparing 2 acids with same conc.
Ah okay so it was just my wording was a bit off, thanks for letting me know so I can stop sounding like a fool :hat2:
B_9710
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Ah okay so it was just my wording was a bit off, thanks for letting me know so I can stop sounding like a fool :hat2:
I'm not trying to say you're a fool or anything like that or come across as a knob, just being pedantic. :gthumb:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (230)
41.82%
The paper was reasonable (234)
42.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.27%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
6.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise