Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Quick question... is it worth doing textbook questions for maths?
    More specifically, for C2, C3 and C4?
    I don't mind doing them as they're good practice but THERE IS SO MANY questions. They take a long time and I have around 2 months.
    I can do past papers, but I lose around 10 marks for basic slips that create a domino effect.
    If more practice of textbook questions will help me overcome the silly mistakes I make, I don't mind doing them.
    But I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.
    I don't really want to exhaust my past papers either.

Oh, also, I find that the papers from 2005 to around 2008 are insanely easier than those post 2008 (AQA maths)
    Should I still do them anyway?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I see no value in repeating questions which are essentially clones of each other with slightly varied values. I would recommend doing the last few questions of each exercise as these tend to be trickier as they combine multiple techniques. And then do the mixed exercise at the end of chapters as well as end of section reviews.

Only practice will help you with your tendency to make silly mistakes. You could try Soloman papers and reserve some AQA papers for mocks.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who doesn't touch past papers and relies only on the textbook and he's doing quite well. I'm quite the opposite though - I just like doing the ones that look hard or a certain type of question and then move on to the next topic. Just do the mixed exercises if you've already covered the topic.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh ok, thanks!
    Also, everyone highly recommends examsolutions and he is really good but my maths teacher this year is amazing alhamdulillah! It doesn't even feel like maths with him, more of 'differentiate this, and stick it on the top and do this and stick it on the bottom and you're done'.

So only refer to examsolutions if help is needed? Or just listen to his videos anyway?

And how do you work on C4 trig identity spotting? I'm so bad with this.

I tried the past paper approach and would complete C3 papers in 40mins or so but come out with 67/75 due to silly mistakes (alhamdulillah not bad but kind of depending on C3 as opposed to C4). I'm really impatient and lazy so don't check over my paper. If I don't understand the question within the first few seconds, I become really lazy with it.

Oh and are solomon papers worth doing? Like a MUST or can I get away without dong them? (Aiming for an A*)

Thanks!

(Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I have a friend who doesn't touch past papers and relies only on the textbook and he's doing quite well. I'm quite the opposite though - I just like doing the ones that look hard or a certain type of question and then move on to the next topic. Just do the mixed exercises if you've already covered the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanda01)

Oh and are solomon papers worth doing? Like a MUST or can I get away without dong them? (Aiming for an A*)
    I certainly don't think they're a must, but mileage varies.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh ok, thanks!
    Also, everyone highly recommends examsolutions and he is really good but my maths teacher this year is amazing alhamdulillah! It doesn't even feel like maths with him, more of 'differentiate this, and stick it on the top and do this and stick it on the bottom and you're done'.

So only refer to examsolutions if help is needed? Or just listen to his videos anyway?

And how do you work on C4 trig identity spotting? I'm so bad with this.

I tried the past paper approach and would complete C3 papers in 40mins or so but come out with 67/75 due to silly mistakes (alhamdulillah not bad but kind of depending on C3 as opposed to C4). I'm really impatient and lazy so don't check over my paper. If I don't understand the question within the first few seconds, I become really lazy with it.

Thanks!
    You're on the right track for an A*, iA

Examsolutions isn't necessary if you understand everything and you have a good teacher. I'd suggest you focus on exam technique, that seems to be your biggest issue.

Solomon papers definitely aren't necessary and I personally do not like them nor use them. Edexcel have released over 30 past papers so those should be more than enough!

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Go to bed ffs
    I actually have. Woke up because I was feeling unwell, probably are something nasty.

It's not exactly sunshine and rainbows in Moka now. :rofl: Catch some Zs, help people with maths later.

ReputationRep:
    I actually have. Woke up because I was feeling unwell, probably are something nasty.

It's not exactly sunshine and rainbows in Moka now. :rofl: Catch some Zs, help people with maths later.
    Same goes for you, get some rest, hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, awesome.
    Jazakallah khair.

AQA have around 20 so I guess that should be enough insha'Allah.

Apologies, tsr won't allow me to rep you again -.-

You're on the right track for an A*, iA

Examsolutions isn't necessary if you understand everything and you have a good teacher. I'd suggest you focus on exam technique, that seems to be your biggest issue.

Solomon papers definitely aren't necessary and I personally do not like them nor use them. Edexcel have released over 30 past papers so those should be more than enough!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, awesome.
    Jazakallah khair.

AQA have around 20 so I guess that should be enough insha'Allah.

Apologies, tsr won't allow me to rep you again -.-
    No worries, it's the thought that counts!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    A levels: practice is key (trust me on this). theory also helps but for a levels, you have to answer it the way the exam board expects you to answer for gain full marks. using your own equations, whilst good from a convenience point and good for solving answers, will lose you marks in a levels

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.