Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone help me out please, im doing electrochemical cells, and its talking of potential difference. what does the term potential difference actually mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.r.i.n.i.t.y)
    Hi, can someone help me out please, im doing electrochemical cells, and its talking of potential difference. what does the term potential difference actually mean?
    the amount of energy converted from chemical energy to do work on the charge when a coulomb of charge passes thru the two terminals

ReputationRep:
    Just think of potential difference as voltage.

ReputationRep:
    terminal voltage or emf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    terminal voltage or emf?
    I don't think it really matters when considering electrochemical cells... perhaps for physics.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, ive found a definition, it says the difference between the charge on the electrode and the charge of the ions in solution.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.