Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I psychologically change someones mind? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know picking the right words make a huge difference psychologically to change a persons mind.
    What do I say/do to change a persons mind to come to an important event without pushing them away, or winding them up?

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to say? What do you not want to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgili)
    What do you want to say? What do you not want to say?
    I want to show that it means so much for him to be there, and that it is an important occasion and not something small that he can flake on. But I know I can guide his thoughts if I tried hard enough, I just can't think of words/sentences to do so.

I know I shouldn't say that he's expected to be there, purely because it means I'm demanding him to go when that will only push him away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceriidwen)
    I want to show that it means so much for him to be there, and that it is an important occasion and not something small that he can flake on. But I know I can guide his thoughts if I tried hard enough, I just can't think of words/sentences to do so.

I know I shouldn't say that he's expected to be there, purely because it means I'm demanding him to go when that will only push him away
    So asking without sounding demanding? You don't want to force him, but you also want him there?

'It's really important to me and I would really appreciate it if you could come'

ReputationRep:
    So asking without sounding demanding? You don't want to force him, but you also want him there?

'It's really important to me and I would really appreciate it if you could come'
    Exactly that! But I fear that saying that won't be enough

ReputationRep:
    You condition them to that behaviour you want. Research Pavlovs dogs

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that! But I fear that saying that won't be enough
    Dear, if that's not enough to convince him of the gravity, I have three words for him.

'you are dumped'

ReputationRep:
    Dear, if that's not enough to convince him of the gravity, I have three words for him.

'you are dumped'
    If only it was that simple it's actually a family member

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    You condition them to that behaviour you want. Research Pavlovs dogs
    I don't think it's the same principle, I've learnt about Pavlovs research, and it's harder than just praising them if they decide to come.
    It's that process of getting them to decide to come themselves without me telling them they should be there. It's hard to explain hope that makes sense haha.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's the same principle, I've learnt about Pavlovs research, and it's harder than just praising them if they decide to come.
    It's that process of getting them to decide to come themselves without me telling them they should be there. It's hard to explain hope that makes sense haha.
    Oh right... so you need their mind to change and agree out of the blue? You need a magic wand hun haha

ReputationRep:
    If only it was that simple it's actually a family member
    Family members can be dumped to, being a relative is not an excuse to mistreat you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Oh right... so you need their mind to change and agree out of the blue? You need a magic wand hun haha
    To be completely honest, they should know how important it is to begin with, it's just directing them into the right path and hoping they make the right decision. But thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Family members can be dumped to, being a relative is not an excuse to mistreat you.
    That's true, as hard as it is to admit. I know it'll be end if they don't realise that it's important, and don't attend. Thanks for your help!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.