The Student Room Group

Late to revise for gcses?!

As Easters nearly over, we GCSE's students are expected to be prepared and ready! Last year and beginning of this year I was motivated, I did my work on time and got decent grades. However I feel like iI left everything too late,I now feel less motivated. My hardest subjects are science and Maths. Especially Maths I got an E, and i cant seem to reach my target. I been failing it since year7,theres no way I'm going to get C in a month. I got so much to do and dont know where to start:/:frown: I got a time table and everything but I dont seem to follow it very well and every 20 mins I lose focus..HELP!!
You're right, there's no point revising now.
Just get on with it and revise..don't panic!
Original post by Lucasium
You're right, there's no point revising now.

?? was that sarcastic?
Reply 4
Well you obviously won't get the A*'s but if you pull your pants up and start doing something about it, you may get away with at least passing your core which is English maths and science. If you flop others it's okay, don't worry. But as I said, English maths and science are core and they will be asked by universities and employers. I hope you do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't give up. If you work hard then you'll be surprised how much progress you can make - I have having trouble with maths too and was really panicked about it, but when I tried to calm and just set out a plan as I went through I realised it wasn't anywhere near as scary as I feared.

Original post by bikiniikilll
I got a time table and everything but I dont seem to follow it very well and every 20 mins I lose focus..HELP!!

Sounds like this is your main issue. At this point you need a solid schedule and a set revision plan which you can follow. If you lose focus every 20 minutes, then plan that in - have a time table and put in 5 minute breaks every 20 minutes. Ideally you would try to work longer, but a solid schedule you can follow is always better than unproductive procrastination/work even if you aren't doing as many hours.

In addition to setting out a timetable you can follow, make sure you know exactly what you have to do - if you're unsure, you will find it so much harder to focus! Have a textbook, syllabus guide and big stack of past papers in front of you. You'll have to find what works best depending on your current knowledge. For maths, given the limited time your best bet is probably to just go through past papers and check the textbook whenever you get stuck. You'll gradually improve and see a steadily increasing score.

There are of course the classic ways to increase focus: don't listen to music with lyrics (it's too distracting), put your phone on the other side of your room so you're not tempted to check it, don't have TV on, etc...

It's not the end of the world. 1 month is not ideal, but it's not like it's the night before the exam. You still have time to put in the hours. If you revise from 8 to 12 every weekend, have a free afternoon then do another 2 hours in the evening that's 48 hours of revision between now and the exams, and that's before you even take into account revision in school, weekday evenings, etc... You could do 48 maths past papers in that time, and if you review them and gradually increase your score each time then you can see how much progress you could be making. Obviously I'm not suggesting you should spend every hour of revision just doing past papers for that one subject, but you can see how much potential there is for progress.

If you use your time wisely and revise your weakest areas, do productive revision (not procrastination) that is focused and reviewed, then you will see improvements. I'm not saying you will meet all your targets but I can guarantee you will definitely improve your grades.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by william91919
Don't give up. If you work hard then you'll be surprised how much progress you can make - I have having trouble with maths too and was really panicked about it, but when I tried to calm and just set out a plan as I went through I realised it wasn't anywhere near as scary as I feared.

If you use your time wisely and revise your weakest areas, do productive revision (not procrastination) that is focused and reviewed, then you will see improvements. I'm not saying you will meet all your targets but I can guarantee you will definitely improve your grades.

Thank you a lot for the tips, I know i wont get A*'s but i would be really happy if i got C's and B's . My main aim to get my maths and english( i can pass english) and i will be happy without redoing them again.
I'll deffo go through what you said and do a strict schedule:smile:)
Thanks!
Original post by SSUCL
Well you obviously won't get the A*'s but if you pull your pants up and start doing something about it, you may get away with at least passing your core which is English maths and science. If you flop others it's okay, don't worry. But as I said, English maths and science are core and they will be asked by universities and employers. I hope you do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I know and thankyou ! I hope you do well too.
Reply 8
ignore the 'it's too late now comments'... they're trolls and are clearly trying to be funny but in fact, it's just discouraging to us needing motivation. Set a certain target of topics you have to complete for the day (the night before).. you can set a time target (e.g. 6 hours tomorrow), however, it's always seemed a little daunting to me when I woke up and realised i had to do six hours.

Start off by creating a list of all the subjects, how many chapters are in each unit and how long each chapter will take. Ik this will seem like an extremely boring task to do, but trust me it helps knowing how much revision you have left against time, so you can be time-efficient.

I discovered this a few days ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GCSE/comments/47kdr2/revision_megathread_past_papers_google_docs/ ) and have been finding it really useful.

For maths, I did my gcse last year in it and did well. Seriously the only way to get better at maths is to practise, practise and practise... its the best way, and, tbh, unless you're a genius, its the only way. I also highly recommend you do past papers as well (but only AFTER you've revised!/ as your going along). Also for some topics i really didnt understand (like graphs of trigonometrical equations- WTF WAS THAT LOL- use exam solutions). they're really useful and have a website which covers basically everything from each major exam board

Ik you need motivation atm, and so does everyone who has exams in a month. But remember, motivation will only get you to start it once but discipline will help you be consistent and strive for that. the only way TO achieve that is by setting yourself a certain target every day, as mentioned before, and strictly follow it.

Revision can be a pain in the ass literally all the time but only the first two minutes of revision are the hardest, however after that trust me, you'll most likely forget your even putting effort in.

Anyway, i hope you do well in your exams, but it's time for me to actually put my words into action, haha. good luck and i hope i helped :smile:
Original post by SM45367
ignore the 'it's too late now comments'... they're trolls and are clearly trying to be funny but in fact, it's just discouraging to us needing motivation. Set a certain target of topics you have to complete for the day (the night before).. you can set a time target (e.g. 6 hours tomorrow), however, it's always seemed a little daunting to me when I woke up and realised i had to do six hours.

Start off by creating a list of all the subjects, how many chapters are in each unit and how long each chapter will take. Ik this will seem like an extremely boring task to do, but trust me it helps knowing how much revision you have left against time, so you can be time-efficient.

I discovered this a few days ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GCSE/comments/47kdr2/revision_megathread_past_papers_google_docs/ ) and have been finding it really useful.

For maths, I did my gcse last year in it and did well. Seriously the only way to get better at maths is to practise, practise and practise... its the best way, and, tbh, unless you're a genius, its the only way. I also highly recommend you do past papers as well (but only AFTER you've revised!/ as your going along). Also for some topics i really didnt understand (like graphs of trigonometrical equations- WTF WAS THAT LOL- use exam solutions). they're really useful and have a website which covers basically everything from each major exam board

Ik you need motivation atm, and so does everyone who has exams in a month. But remember, motivation will only get you to start it once but discipline will help you be consistent and strive for that. the only way TO achieve that is by setting yourself a certain target every day, as mentioned before, and strictly follow it.

Revision can be a pain in the ass literally all the time but only the first two minutes of revision are the hardest, however after that trust me, you'll most likely forget your even putting effort in.

Anyway, i hope you do well in your exams, but it's time for me to actually put my words into action, haha. good luck and i hope i helped :smile:

Thanks so much for the useful link and the motivation!! i'll start all my plan now,and I hope you will do well:smile:)
As Easters nearly over, we GCSE's students are expected to be prepared and ready! Last year and beginning of this year I was motivated, I did my work on time and got decent grades. However I feel like iI left everything too late,I now feel less motivated. My hardest subjects are science and Maths. Especially Maths I got an E, and i cant seem to reach my target. I been failing it since year7,theres no way I'm going to get C in a month. I got so much to do and dont know where to start:/:frown: I got a time table and everything but I dont seem to follow it very well and every 20 mins I lose focus..HELP!!

Use these sites:
http://www.mathedup.co.uk/classes/10n2/gcse-maths-takeaway/
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/
http://corbettmaths.com/

Trust me....there really good websites. The first website has topic based test all taken from past papers. I recommend them to you.
Original post by *Alisha*
Use these sites:
http://www.mathedup.co.uk/classes/10n2/gcse-maths-takeaway/
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/
http://corbettmaths.com/

Trust me....there really good websites. The first website has topic based test all taken from past papers. I recommend them to you.

Thank you so much for the links, I like the first one,as they got all the list of foundation topics:smile:
Thank you so much for the links, I like the first one,as they got all the list of foundation topics:smile:

Its ok they have videos too that you can go on.
Listen. It is NEVER too late to revise (unless you do it the night before) and you literally have over a month left. That's 936 hours! Go revise and you'll do fine hun
You might be able to get A*s, I mean I didn't but when I did my GCSE I started revising much later than this and still came out with semi decent grades.

Quick Reply

Latest