Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've recently gotten two offers from Strathclyde and two from Glasgow, however, I am really undecided on which to go to. I've narrowed it down to two courses, one from each uni.

Glasgow have given a condition of a B in anything plus summer school for Aeronautical Engineering and Strathclyde have given an unconditional for Aero-Mechanical Engineering.

- I know that Strathclyde has a better reputation for engineering, however Glasgow has a better reputation overall and is part of the Russell Group.
    - Both courses appeal to me, and interest me.
    - Strathclyde has a work placement but Glasgow doesn't.
    - Regarding exams, Glasgow's are mainly written and Strathclyde's are half written and half coursework.
    - Glasgow do put a lot of money into their students.
    - Glasgow's sports facilities are amazing, and Strathclyde's are ok.
    There are just so many pros and cons for both!

-> So if you were in my position, what would you do? and why?
    -> If you go to either, what do you like and dislike about these unis? because I am totally torn between them. What made you choose that uni?
    -> Have either got direct links to employers relating to airlines (British Airways, Easyjet etc. as my career aim is becoming a pilot)
    -> And am I missing anything important that can help my decision?

Thanks for helping!!!!! Really appreciated!!
    Reece
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by reece1398)
    -> So if you were in my position, what would you do? and why?
    -> If you go to either, what do you like and dislike about these unis? because I am totally torn between them. What made you choose that uni?
    -> Have either got direct links to employers relating to airlines (British Airways, Easyjet etc. as my career aim is becoming a pilot)
    -> And am I missing anything important that can help my decision?

Thanks for helping!!!!! Really appreciated!!
    Reece
    Hi there!

This has given me a flashback to when I was applying for university - I was trying to choose between those two as well! Honestly, whichever one you pick, you'll enjoy thoroughly and you'll get a really good degree out of it. There will hopefully be people who can give more insight into the Strathclyde course, but I'm currently a 4th year Aero student at Glasgow, so I'll fill you in on this one.

One of the major factors in me choosing my degree was studying abroad and the degree itself. Whilst the degrees are very similar, they do differ in certain areas so read up a lot on both of the degree structures and classes and see which is more suited to your interests. I always knew I wanted to study abroad and Glasgow has an incredible study abroad program. I got to take my 3rd year in California, so no complaints there. I'm not familiar with Strathclyde's study abroad program, though.

Whilst there's not necessarily a work placement at Glasgow, if you stay on for your 5th year, you get to take 6 months into industry or at a different university. You literally have unlimited options so long as Glasgow approves your project. Glasgow's closest connection is with BAE Systems but many many many students end up working for Rolls Royce and other places. I've got a couple of friends who now work for Airbus, but you could equally do that from studying at Strathclyde.

There are so many different factors to think about. Visit the universities if you haven't, check out the departments, try and talk to current students. Strathyclyde is right in the centre of the city whereas Glasgow is further out in the West End. Your main concern should be where you think you'd enjoy yourself the most. I have a lot of friends who are a Strathclyde and absolutely love it, so either will be a good option.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further questions!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    Aeronautical Engineering - School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    Hello Reece,Since I am struggling with the same decision, I would like to know which of the two you finally chose and how you feel about it. It would help me greatly. I have read a lot online and most people favour Glasgow over Strathclyde for various reasons, but I don't have any offers yet and I would like to know which one to apply to as I love aviation engineering and wonder which is more about aviation (Glasgow?) and which about mechanical engineering (Strathclyde?).Thank you,George

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.