Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my recent mock exam (December), I managed to just about scrape a C, which I'm okay with considering I did not really understand the C/B grade topics like I have been by going through them this week. However, I am worried I will not get repeat this in the real exam, and as unrealistic as it might seem I actually want to get an A. Do you guys think I can go from a C to an A, or have I left it too late?
    I mean I'm only now starting to understand some of the content we learnt in years 9/10, people I know got it straight away and have been getting good grades ever since. I just feel really demotivated and that I am behind and cannot possibly do well now; considering there is only about a month till GCSE's and maths has always been my weakest subject.

I just want to know if I should still have hope, if I practiced every day, went to boosters, tuition and basically worked my hardest, without taking too much time from my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be impossible. What you have to keep in mind is don't fall into the trap of revising what you already know like many people do. Try making a list of topics you don't understand (refer to lost marks on exams if you have to), and organise it from easiest to hardest, with topics you need to do little work on (ie; memorise an equation) first and topics you don't understand at all last.
    Revise them in this order and even if you don't manage to get to all of them, you will maximise the marks you get on the exam as you will revise the most topics you can. Spend time on making this list and don't listen to what you are told is more difficult, but rather focus on what you struggle with as everyone is different and there's no point revising "advanced topics" if you're getting all the marks on them anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ukila)
    In my recent mock exam (December), I managed to just about scrape a C, which I'm okay with considering I did not really understand the C/B grade topics like I have been by going through them this week. However, I am worried I will not get repeat this in the real exam, and as unrealistic as it might seem I actually want to get an A. Do you guys think I can go from a C to an A, or have I left it too late?
    I mean I'm only now starting to understand some of the content we learnt in years 9/10, people I know got it straight away and have been getting good grades ever since. I just feel really demotivated and that I am behind and cannot possibly do well now; considering there is only about a month till GCSE's and maths has always been my weakest subject.

I just want to know if I should still have hope, if I practiced every day, went to boosters, tuition and basically worked my hardest, without taking too much time from my other subjects.
    hey! its never impossible

take it from someone who's had to resit gcse maths - i might not have got an A but making use of exam resources such as past papers , MathsWatch DVD, cgp revision and workbooks, MyMaths, were so helpful.

take note of how the questions are written in the exam paper - there is a certain way they need to be written out depending on the exam board - if your with edexcel there probably will be. hopefully your teacher will be going through exam technique in class.

it also may be worth investing in a tutor - i wish i had had one the first time round as they can help to explain things at a slower pace and they don't have 20 other people to worry about in the same room. they can explain the questions and steps for the topic your doing etc. if you don't want to get a tutor see if there is any revision classes going on in school where the teachers can help out more as there will only be people who want to be there. if not ask around and see if any of your family members or sibling are good at maths - they might be able to help.

watching youtube videos for maths tutorials are also useful
    i might suggest that if your struggling with c /b topic, it may be useful to do a foundation paper first and see if there are any topics there to see if there are any major gaps in knowledge - then move onto higher (on mymaths there are booster packs with the gcse topics at every grade level these are brilliant for you to know where you are)

a last helpful tip is do a lot of past papers and fill any gaps in 2015 edexcel decided to change the way the questions were written which threw the nation of students (it got trending) don't forget to take breaks during revision as well

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukila)

You can check my thread if you desire: it has resources you need
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post62901465
    let me know if you need more help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.