The Student Room Group

English language exam

For the novella 'Of Mice and Men' how many quotes do i have to remember? Also do I remember quotes for irrelevant characters such as Carlson and Candy? I haven't started revision on it yet. Do you think its okay if my exam is next month on the 20th (I don't remember the exact date but its somewhat close to that)
(edited 7 years ago)
The exam is on the 23rd.

Also, for Of Mice and Men, you have to remember 3 or 4 quotes for the part b question, and they can't be from the passage that they give you. Usually they involve things like "Guys like us, are the loneliest guys in the world etc."

For the part a question, you technically don't need to learn any quotes off by heart, as they give you a passage, and the quotes can only be from there.

If that makes sense.
Original post by Fractite
The exam is on the 23rd.

Also, for Of Mice and Men, you have to remember 3 or 4 quotes for the part b question, and they can't be from the passage that they give you. Usually they involve things like "Guys like us, are the loneliest guys in the world etc."

For the part a question, you technically don't need to learn any quotes off by heart, as they give you a passage, and the quotes can only be from there.

If that makes sense.

Only 3 or 4? How many marks is the question? Also if its 3 or 4 for each character that would be around 25 quotes. Wtf. I thought we had to write at LEAST 10 quotes
Original post by sagelolz
For the novella 'Of Mice and Men' how many quotes do i have to remember? Also do I remember quotes for irrelevant characters such as Carlson and Candy? I haven't started revision on it yet. Do you think its okay if my exam is next month on the 20th (I don't remember the exact date but its somewhat close to that)

The exam is English Lit not Lan, bud.
Remember quotes for all the interesting characters. So that'd be: Slim, George, Crooks, Curley, Curley's Wife, George, Lennie & Candy. It's a lot, I know. But they're all the characters that could come up in the exam question.

When should you start revision? I would start now if I were you. But honestly, it depends on what your aims are for English. Starting now would help you memorise more quotes, making it easier in the actual exam.

Good luck, man

Revise minimum 5 quotes for every character including candy and carlson
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Remember quotes for all the interesting characters. So that'd be: Slim, George, Crooks, Curley, Curley's Wife, George, Lennie & Candy. It's a lot, I know. But they're all the characters that could come up in the exam question.

When should you start revision? I would start now if I were you. But honestly, it depends on what your aims are for English. Starting now would help you memorise more quotes, making it easier in the actual exam.

Good luck, man

Ehhh I meant lit LOL. But thanks anyway and I got an A for my English Lit mock, so I hope I can replicate that into the real exam.

Also, I'm a female,bud.
Original post by zXcodeXz
Revise minimum 5 quotes for every character including candy and carlson

How many marks is the question??? 10 or 20?
Reply 7
Original post by Fractite
The exam is on the 23rd.

If that makes sense.

Original post by ZiggyStarDust_

Good luck, man

Hi, do you guys have any websites (or TSR threads) where I can find quotes for OMAM (Slim, George, Crooks, Curley, Curley's Wife, George, Lennie & Candy)?
How many marks is the question??? 10 or 20?

For edexcel iGCSE 30marks for OMAM and 30marks for AIC
Original post by Kaiylar
Hi, do you guys have any websites (or TSR threads) where I can find quotes for OMAM (Slim, George, Crooks, Curley, Curley's Wife, George, Lennie & Candy)?

I don't know about sites, no.

I did all of my character pages/quotes in my English book - so I can't help you out there, pal.
Reply 10
I'm doing the Edexcel IGCSE English Literature for Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls, I'm revising around 7 quotations for each character and then a further 7 for each major theme, although there may be some crossover between themes and characters. Genius.com is a good place to start for OMAM which goes through the play and has analysis for large quantities of the text although it is user submitted. I've also found the website shmoop.com useful as it gives quotations for the characters and major themes with analysis although the quotations they give you are quite long so they would need to be shortened to use in an exam.

Quick Reply