Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone ever passed first year without attending lectures/tutorials? Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Short story: I'm first year maths student, I've been unwell all year and were able to attend no lectures or tutorials at all. Now I've seven exams in May. I learned the material for three, and I'm in the middle of learning the fourth one now. I haven't done any past papers apart from three papers, one for each of the courses I've learned the material for. Moreover, each exam is worth only 80% of the module, and the other 20% was taken as tests during the year all of which I had missed.

    Am I doomed or am I just panicking? I want to pick the collective wisdom of TSR on this - what should I do? Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation to mine? If so, how did you manage it?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NoNickname)
    Short story: I'm first year maths student, I've been unwell all year and were able to attend no lectures or tutorials at all. Now I've seven exams in May. I learned the material for three, and I'm in the middle of learning the fourth one now. I haven't done any past papers apart from three papers, one for each of the courses I've learned the material for. Moreover, each exam is worth only 80% of the module, and the other 20% was taken as tests during the year all of which I had missed.

    Am I doomed or am I just panicking? I want to pick the collective wisdom of TSR on this - what should I do? Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation to mine? If so, how did you manage it?
    Speak to your unis student support service, you can probably get ec's so you can sit them in august instead if necessary.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    I agree with claireestelle.

    You need to make the Uni aware of your illness and get mitigating circumstances BEFORE the exams. Note that you will need to provide a doctor's note. Is your ill health caused by something that's likely to end soon?

    I suspect that at this stage resitting the year will be the best solution - if you haven't learned the material from first year, then you're going to struggle to build on it in second year.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep
    Offline

    10
    ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by NoNickname)
    Short story: I'm first year maths student, I've been unwell all year and were able to attend no lectures or tutorials at all. Now I've seven exams in May. I learned the material for three, and I'm in the middle of learning the fourth one now. I haven't done any past papers apart from three papers, one for each of the courses I've learned the material for. Moreover, each exam is worth only 80% of the module, and the other 20% was taken as tests during the year all of which I had missed.

    Am I doomed or am I just panicking? I want to pick the collective wisdom of TSR on this - what should I do? Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation to mine? If so, how did you manage it?
    Hey,

    Sorry to hear about this - definitely take the above advice. In some cases it's possible to sit later exams (typically when re-sits are) and they'll count as your first sitting. This will vary from university to university, though, talk to your department and it sounds like you're eligible for mitigating circumstances. That will help clear things up and will hopefully give you more time.

    As for the exams themselves, I missed the majority of my 2nd year classes but still did very well. Focus on your notes first, and then past papers. Learn the theory, that way you can answer whatever questions they ask you. I'm currently in my 4th year, and I honestly barely look at past papers and just thoroughly learn the notes provided.

    Let us know if you have any other questions!

    Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    ...
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    ...
    (Original post by Glasgow Uni)
    ...
    Many thanks for the invaluable advice! I'll inform the university right away.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    ...
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    ...
    (Original post by Glasgow Uni)
    ...
    I can't thank you enough. I was really desperate not knowing what to do when I had posted this thread four weeks ago.

    The university agreed to defer my exams after I informed them of my circumstances & submitted the required evidence.
    • Very Important Poster
    Offline

    19
    Very Important Poster
    How did you think iit was a good idea not to keep in touch with your tutor? Glad you got EC, but havent you effectively paid them 9k for soemthing you have now taught yourself? They didnt chase you up for missing all tutorials?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How did you think iit was a good idea not to keep in touch with your tutor? Glad you got EC, but havent you effectively paid them 9k for soemthing you have now taught yourself? They didnt chase you up for missing all tutorials?
    I know. It's messed up. I guess my own health issues overwhelmed me too much; and the (wrong) assumption that there's nothing the university could do to help with my situation. Yes, it appears they don't care about the tutorial attendance in my course, even though I think the rule is you have to attend at least 70% of them.
    • Very Important Poster
    Offline

    19
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by NoNickname)
    I know. It's messed up. I guess my own health issues overwhelmed me too much; and the (wrong) assumption that there's nothing the university could to help in my situation. Yes, it appears they don't care about the tutorial attendance in my course, even though I think the rule is you have to attend at least 70% of them.
    I'm more alarmed that you could go an academic year without your tutor or department ringing the alarm bell.

    Also your own role in not liaising with them, especially of the reasons were mental or another ongoing condition. Do that for your own interests. Glad to see you got the deferment.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Yes.

    I didn't attend a single lecture or tutorial for an entire module in my second year for reasons I wish not to discuss. I also only spent one day going over the material for the exam, and I achieved a first (70%) in the exam and a 2.1 (64%) in the essay.

    If you study smart, it's very possible. Then again, this was for an arts degree.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.