Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My daughter is tying herself in knots trying to pick from her offers. She has Unconditionals from both Edinburgh (Sport and Recreation Management) and Bournemouth (Sport Development and Coaching sciences). She also had conditional offers from Northumbria but due to the unpleasantness of their admissions staff we binned them quickly.

We live in Scotland so going to Edinburgh would be free for my daughter plus of course it's a leading University and a Russel group uni, but does this matter for a sport degree? It is also just 30 minutes from home so not quite the adventure she was looking for, although she will move into halls.

On the other hand we have Bournemouth, the plus side to the course is the 40 week compulsory work placement in year 3. Plus I guess moving so far away is an adventure, but, it's lower down the league tables and an unknown quantity for us. Also they still seem to have places available on the course, although I don't know if that means anything.

Anyone else in the Russel group dilemma?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I can't speak for the admissions staff but Northumbria is a good uni. And I presume the course there also has a work experience year? Might be worth another consideration.

Presumably the Edinburgh offer is for the 4 year entry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I can't speak for the admissions staff but Northumbria is a good uni. And I presume the course there also has a work experience year? Might be worth another consideration.

Presumably the Edinburgh offer is for the 4 year entry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are undergrad courses so all first year. Northumbria was my daughters first choice but she has been put off by bot responses from admissions staff to questions and also that they appear to be slipping in league tables.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lellikelly)
    These are undergrad courses so all first year. Northumbria was my daughters first choice but she has been put off by bot responses from admissions staff to questions and also that they appear to be slipping in league tables.
    But admissions staff won't be teaching her . Maybe she should pay them another visit to help make her mind up.

But yes Edinburgh would probably be a good choice, except for the proximity to home . I don't suppose they offer a year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My daughter is tying herself in knots trying to pick from her offers. She has Unconditionals from both Edinburgh (Sport and Recreation Management) and Bournemouth (Sport Development and Coaching sciences). She also had conditional offers from Northumbria but due to the unpleasantness of their admissions staff we binned them quickly.

We live in Scotland so going to Edinburgh would be free for my daughter plus of course it's a leading University and a Russel group uni, but does this matter for a sport degree? It is also just 30 minutes from home so not quite the adventure she was looking for, although she will move into halls.

On the other hand we have Bournemouth, the plus side to the course is the 40 week compulsory work placement in year 3. Plus I guess moving so far away is an adventure, but, it's lower down the league tables and an unknown quantity for us. Also they still seem to have places available on the course, although I don't know if that means anything.

Just on the living near home/far from home point - Folion had some good advice in this thread -
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2972783

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Re placement year for sports management - I understand that the Bath placement year is "facilitated" by the careers department, in that they put up details of any placements notified to Bath on a webpage - the students apply independently and are free to chase down placements not notified to Bath. How much support does the Bournemouth course offer? Does "compulsory" translate into "guaranteed"? Note that most placements are unpaid, the paid ones seem to be fiercely competitive.

ReputationRep:
    It is all stacking up in favour of Edinburgh to me.

My son is insuring a university close to home (his father used to commute daily to work there) and was a bit negative about it (except that it was a no brainer due to the offer - provided he was prepared to go there!) until we went to the offer holder day, on public transport which made it seem further (something to bear in mind) He's a lot more positive about it now. We know of quite a number of students from our area who go there and whose parents see little of them.

Anyway, his Firm is one with a year's paid work, which is a big attraction for him. In his case this will get him half the way to his full professional accreditation.

His insurance are pretty bullish about their alternative approach which is compulsory work experience at a couple of points through the course. Much shorter periods and not necessarily paid - but the students said that most people got a lot more time than is compulsory and most get paid... so Edinburgh will not necessarily mean "No work experience"

Bournemouth is a heck of a long way unless the course itself is a real standout opportunity (I have a relative hoping to do the opposite journey come September) Maybe chat to some people in the business to see if it has a name for itself?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest free tuition is reason alone to choose Edinburgh; £50k + interest of debt is no small matter.

Not to mention the university is better and Edinburgh is a cultural hub and capital city. Bournemouth is a lovely place to visit but beyond sight-seeing it has very little to offer and its university pales in comparison to Edinburgh's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holmstock)
    Re placement year for sports management - I understand that the Bath placement year is "facilitated" by the careers department, in that they put up details of any placements notified to Bath on a webpage - the students apply independently and are free to chase down placements not notified to Bath. How much support does the Bournemouth course offer? Does "compulsory" translate into "guaranteed"? Note that most placements are unpaid, the paid ones seem to be fiercely competitive.
    Hi Holmstock,

I am in my second year at Bournemouth University studying Television Production and am at the stage where everyone is searching for placements.

From the sounds of it Bath works the same as Bournemouth. We have a webpage called careerhub which is regularly updated. We also get direct emails when new placements come up which our aimed at our course. Like Bath, we are free to apply if we like the sound of it but also are able to chase other companies about placement outside of the careerhub. In this situation once a placement is found, we then speak to our course leader to confirm it meets the requirements of the placement and then it works as normal.

I would say the amount of support you get is based on what the student wants. We have lecturers about applying for placements and then can do one to one tutorials for anything from CV writing to interview prep.

Hope this helps.
    Gemma (Student ambassador)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.