Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys today I am going to do a hard C1 Solomon paper - I have been getting full marks on the actual papers but they've not been very testing so far, I wondered which of the solomon papers is the hardest one and the one best for testing my knowledge? Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Paper A and paper E, if I remember well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Paper A and paper E, if I remember well.
    Awesome thanks buddy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Hi guys today I am going to do a hard C1 Solomon paper - I have been getting full marks on the actual papers but they've not been very testing so far, I wondered which of the solomon papers is the hardest one and the one best for testing my knowledge? Many thanks!
    There isn't a lot of difference between the actual papers and the solomon ones. Try something like this http://www.madasmaths.com/archive_iy...ce_papers.html

ReputationRep:
    If you've been doing well so far, maybe it's time to drop the module for a bit and go focus on your other modules/subjects instead of finding more papers to do for this one. Food for thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    If you've been doing well so far, maybe it's time to drop the module for a bit and go focus on your other modules/subjects instead of finding more papers to do for this one. Food for thought.
    yeah I understand but I've not done any C1 for around a week and a half so I thought it'd be best to do one difficult paper to make sure I'm still good with it ygm? I've done a lot of C2 and S1 as well in which I'm scoring very highly too but I'm not going to be silly and neglect C1!

ReputationRep:
    yeah I understand but I've not done any C1 for around a week and a half so I thought it'd be best to do one difficult paper to make sure I'm still good with it ygm? I've done a lot of C2 and S1 as well in which I'm scoring very highly too but I'm not going to be silly and neglect C1!
    Yeah, fair enough. I haven't done FP3 in about a month, thanks for reminding me. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, fair enough. I haven't done FP3 in about a month, thanks for reminding me. :lol:
    Haha well you're welcome I guess

Cheers, I shall be getting on with the paper now.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I shall be getting on with the paper now.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    Very rushed paper (solomon E) because I wanted to get on and do a C2 paper. 74/75, dropped one mark on a 'line of symmetry' question. I need to quickly go over the answer to that as I'm not too sure (it's really simple probably)

https://gyazo.com/8bf50e339e749938bff190103f64a679

Part B, could you give a small explanation please? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Very rushed paper (solomon E) because I wanted to get on and do a C2 paper. 74/75, dropped one mark on a 'line of symmetry' question. I need to quickly go over the answer to that as I'm not too sure (it's really simple probably)

https://gyazo.com/8bf50e339e749938bff190103f64a679

Part B, could you give a small explanation please? Thank you
    The line of symmetry of a quadratic is x = \text{x coordinte of turning point} - this makes intuitive sense from a quick sketch: (I picked a random quadratic):

As you can see the quadratic is symmetric about the line x=1 which happens to be the turning point of the quadratic.

So in your case, you've just completed the square and you can read off the x coordinate of the turning point of the quadratic there, so what's your line of symmetry?

ReputationRep:
    The line of symmetry of a quadratic is x = \text{x coordinte of turning point} - this makes intuitive sense from a quick sketch: (I picked a random quadratic):

As you can see the quadratic is symmetric about the line x=1 which happens to be the turning point of the quadratic.

So in your case, you've just completed the square and you can read off the x coordinate of the turning point of the quadratic there, so what's your line of symmetry?
    Ahhhh I see thanks, the complete the square form was:

2(x-1)^2 - 1

So it's X=1 right?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh I see thanks, the complete the square form was:

2(x-1)^2 - 1

So it's X=1 right?

Cheers
    Yep! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yep! :yep:
    Cheers mate, I would rep you but it doesn't let me because I've repped you so much! Good explanation - appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, I would rep you but it doesn't let me because I've repped you so much! Good explanation - appreciated
    Don't worry about it! :-)

ReputationRep:
    i got 74/75 as well but i forgot to write the whole equation for C lol

ReputationRep:
    What did u guys get in c1 and maths overall ums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aezaz)
    What did u guys get in c1 and maths overall ums?
    C1 100 UMS
    C2 100 UMS
    S1 99 UMS

299/300 UMS for normal AS maths

ReputationRep:
    C1 100 UMS
    C2 100 UMS
    S1 99 UMS

299/300 UMS for normal AS maths
    If you dont mind me asking what did you do to revise for each of your exams. At the moment I have done all the c1 and c2 past papers and solomon papers. What could I be doing next?😀

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.