Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats the contraceptive implant like? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting the contraceptive implant soon, i just wanted to know your experience on it! What was it like getting it inserted, and what side effects do you have?

ReputationRep:
    It's quite big, and I definitely wouldnt recommend looking at the needle although they normally distract you. It isn'ttoo painful but can bruise for a couple of days then it is no bother. You jusg have to be careful it cant get knocked as it is very close to the surface of the skin.

ReputationRep:
    iv got the coil which suits me.
    my sister had the implant and it made her hair fall out, put on weight and made her a right moody cow (she was anyway)

Horrific for me: migraines, bled continuously, very low mood. My body does not like synthetic hormones at all. Didn't get on with depo injection or the pill either

Much prefer barrier methods but I do have friends who get on fine with the implant. I think I will go for a coil in the future. Luckily if the implant doesn't suit the doctor can take it out easily and the scar is very subtle.

ReputationRep:
    No problems for me. It bruised a bit when it went in, and getting used to having something under your skin can be strange, but I've not had any side effects. I have less periods now than when I was on the pill, as well. I also have a friend who has one and her periods stopped completely when she got it. Of course some people do have problems with it, but it can be removed whenever you like if that happens

My boyfriends sister was on it and got extremely depressed, so he was cautious of me going on it, but I had no side effects at all, and no periods, which is nice but meant I took a pregnancy test every couple of months just in case.

ReputationRep:
    I found the insertion/removal to be fine. Just a little bit of bruising but you don't feel any real pain.

I had terrible cramps that would wake me up in the night every month, without fail. The dr kept telling me it was ibs but as soon as I had the implant taken out they stopped and haven't ever returned. Otherwise I had very few side effects. My periods were regular and manageable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Didn't get on with depo injection or the pill either
    I hope that the implant was the last one you tried - anyone giving you the injection after problems with other hormonal contraception needs a good talking to...

ReputationRep:
    Insertion is fine, nothing major, slight bruising/tenderness for a few days.

Side affects for me: weight gain, irregular periods (one lasted 4 weeks solid), bleeding after sex, although my gp insisted it wasn't related, however i never had any problems before or after the implant, horrible mood swings and depression.

It agrees differently with different women, i just would never go through that again but i have heard some positive feedback from other women about it.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, I sometimes forget I have it. :giggle:

I've found that I'm maybe more anxious/neurotic since getting it but that may be totally unrelated. I love that I'm impregnable so I won't get it taken out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    It's fine, I sometimes forget I have it. :giggle:

I've found that I'm maybe more anxious/neurotic since getting it but that may be totally unrelated. I love that I'm impregnable so I won't get it taken out.
    This isnt true, there is still a small chance you can get pregnant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got it two years and a half ago and its the actual best! I haven't had a period on two years!!

ReputationRep:
    I've had it in for two years and by and large it's great. I'm in the small percentage which gets a constant period and so I am on the pill to control it (useless at taking the pill though!). It's a good option especially if you're unsure about getting depo or having the IUS/IUD.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.