Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did my coursework essay for OCR History B a couple of months ago and it was quite a bit over the 2000 word limit (I think, by counting words on a line and multiplying by number of lines). Even though I am really worried, my teacher says that there is nothing to worry about as the examiner is not going to bother to count all of my words. Does anyone have any previous experience of this, and is there anything for me to be seriously worried about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin:))
    I did my coursework essay for OCR History B a couple of months ago and it was quite a bit over the 2000 word limit (I think, by counting words on a line and multiplying by number of lines). Even though I am really worried, my teacher says that there is nothing to worry about as the examiner is not going to bother to count all of my words. Does anyone have any previous experience of this, and is there anything for me to be seriously worried about?
    Hey,

Is your coursework handwritten or typed up? Your teacher is right that the examiners don't count the words (if this is handwritten), however they may count the words if it looks like a lot more then a 2000 words. How many words over are you?

OCR have stated
    The word limit of 2000 words will be strictly monitored and work submitted beyond the initial 2000 words will not be marked.Providing students are informed before the assignment begins,there should be few problems, with most candidates benefiting from having to plan and structure their work with care rather than simply throwing lots of content in.

I'd be more careful if I were you. But if it's only a few words then it shouldn't be much of a problem (that's if it's handwritten).

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    When I wrote mine up on word processor I had to include a word count, but I'm fairly sure that was just my teacher being an obsessive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    Hey,

Is your coursework handwritten or typed up? Your teacher is right that the examiners don't count the words (if this is handwritten), however they may count the words if it looks like a lot more then a 2000 words. How many words over are you?

OCR have stated [/font]I'd be more careful if I were you. But if it's only a few words then it shouldn't be much of a problem (that's if it's handwritten).

Hope this helps.
    It's handwritten, and my teacher doesnt seem to be concerned, but i calculated it as over 3000 words (that could just have been a huge miscalculation btw).

ReputationRep:
    It's handwritten, and my teacher doesnt seem to be concerned, but i calculated it as over 3000 words (that could just have been a huge miscalculation btw).
    If it is handwritten, OCR will be used to seeing work fitting the word count and as such will, when reading, begin to think "hang on this is getting a bit long now" and if your writing size is average, they'll know the approximate number of pages 2000 words takes up. Stick to the word limits given, that is why they are there. Or else, you could risk failing that component and OCR is pretty merciless.

ReputationRep:
    I guess if your teacher isn't concerned I don't think it should be a problem. But to be on the safe side I would recommend you rewrite a page or two and try and cut down.

Also, ask your class mates how many pages they've written and how many words it is. Try and compare and write the same amount so it doesn't actually look like 3000 words. :lol:

I'm guessing what examiners would do it is count the words you wrote on only one side of a paper and multiply that by the number of sides of paper you've written to see how much it is in total. This wouldn't be an accurate estimation, so they might just let you off for writing more.

Don't stress about it too much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.