Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone,
    First let me start by saying I know this sounds irrational, and I'd appreciate if negative/mocking comments were kept to a minimum... I'm an 18 year old female, I became sexually active at the tail end of last year relying on the pill as contraception. I've recently switched to the implant, and am now much more confident with its protection, but I can't shake the anxiety of being pregnant from having sex relying on the pill! The last time I had sex only using the pill was mid December, and since then I have had 4 bleeds, although slightly lighter than my usual ones. I have also had 4 negative home pregnancy tests, and have lost 6lbs weight. Despite all these signs I'm not pregnant, I can't shake my anxiety! Did anyone else go through something similar to this after becoming sexually active, and did it eventually go away on its own?
    Thanks, and sorry if I sound crazy!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One of the advantages of the combined pill is that it (usually) gives you fake periods once a month, which progesterone-only methods like the implant do not.

One of the advantages of the implant is that it is staggeringly reliable, more so than having a sterilisation op.

So you could trade 'staggering' reliability for 'very good' reliability and go back on the pill, or decide to use condoms / not get semen inside your vagina with the implant..

.. or just go 'I'm not pregnant'. Buying a supermarket own brand test to prove that will be £1/time or less (there are some even cheaper ones on Amazon...)

(Original post by unprinted)
    One of the advantages of the combined pill is that it (usually) gives you fake periods once a month, which progesterone-only methods like the implant do not.

One of the advantages of the implant is that it is staggeringly reliable, more so than having a sterilisation op.

So you could trade 'staggering' reliability for 'very good' reliability and go back on the pill, or decide to use condoms / not get semen inside your vagina with the implant..

.. or just go 'I'm not pregnant'. Buying a supermarket own brand test to prove that will be £1/time or less (there are some even cheaper ones on Amazon...)
    Thanks for the reply At the moment I'm loving the implant, have only had one bleed after coming off the pill on it, no side effects so far! My doc also said I could look into going on both the pill and the implant, so I'll see how things go... Think I'm slowly getting it into my head I'm not pregnant, and it'll definitely sink in in the next few months when I don't get a bump haha!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One way of looking at it is that you've got more chance of being hit by lightning / knocked over getting the tests than you have of being pregnant.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personally, I'd be a bit dubious of doing pill + implant. Two sets of hormonal contraception is going to increase the chance of side-effects.

Hi I really need some help
    I'm on the pill and I don't get my period when I take it, they are either really light or don't come at all. I had intetcourse a week ago and think I was on my period when I did it, we used a condom but it slipped quite a bit and he did know weather he ejaculated or not. I forgot to take my pill the night before. I'm petrified I might be pregnant. All day today I've felt sick and really werid. I've had a strange sensation in my stomach all day. I don't know what to do any advice you could give me please.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What sort of pill are you on? A progesterone-only one where you take a pill at the same time every day, or a combined one where you have 21 days taking followed by a week's break (or different pills containing no hormones)? That affects what you should have done in terms of having missed one.

But condom use + quite possibly him not coming + the rest mean the sickness and other stomach sensations will very probably just be the worry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.