Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What 'red tape' are Brexiters referring to? watch

ReputationRep:
    Leave voters are constantly telling us how small British businesses are being destroyed by EU red tape, but I've never actually seen a single example of this red tape.

As an aspiring small business owner myself, the only red tape I've had to deal with was put in place by our own government.

ReputationRep:
    Stop scaremongering, OP.

Sorry, my knee jerked.

ReputationRep:
    Probably something to do with banana packaging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Leave voters are constantly telling us how small British businesses are being destroyed by EU red tape, but I've never actually seen a single example of this red tape.

As an aspiring small business owner myself, the only red tape I've had to deal with was put in place by our own government.
    Those vile, evil EUSSR vermin are stopping us from selling weapons to the Saudis and have the sheer audacity of stopping our HARD WORKING BRITISH bankers from getting quite so much money from Bonuses. They hate our freedomz.....

ReputationRep:

Good question OP,
    for a start any small business who wants to trade with the EU has to fill in forms in 20 different languages. Anything they want to export has to meet the ridiculous guidelines of the EU, and new products take months to licence.

That's not to mention having no borders, and spending £billions on projects decided by unelected appointed bureaucrats (oops, I just did).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    Good question OP,
    for a start any small business who wants to trade with the EU has to fill in forms in 20 different languages.
    Surely if you wanted to trade with say china you might have to do some forms in chinese?

Anything they want to export has to meet the ridiculous guidelines of the EU,
    Such as? Boris Johnson recently got torn to shreds for making up cases of this.

and new products take months to licence.
    Evidence it can be done any quicker with a comparable economic entity with 28 member states

That's not to mention having no borders, and spending £billions on projects decided by unelected appointed bureaucrats (oops, I just did).
    .Rubbish and non sequitur as usual. Most small businesses support staying IN last time i checked.

ReputationRep:
    Good question OP,
    for a start any small business who wants to trade with the EU has to fill in forms in 20 different languages. Anything they want to export has to meet the ridiculous guidelines of the EU, and new products take months to licence.

You do realize that businesses would still need to meet the exact same requirements to trade with the EU if we left, don't you? The ONLY difference is that we'd have our own set of requirements, so they'd need to meet 2 sets of requirements instead of 1.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Anything they want to export has to meet the ridiculous guidelines of the EU, and new products take months to licence.
    Surely that would happen anyway if they wanted to export to the EU, regardless of whether or not Britain was a member state.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they mean health and safety laws. A lot of people would love to roll back health and safety legislation because it means they can go on internet forums and ask why feminists aren't doing anything about workplace accidents disproportionately affecting men .

ReputationRep:
    my father has to drive a car where it's forced to have its headlights on even during the day because the EU doesn't trust UK citizens to put their lights on when they're needed
    I could give you surely a long, long list, but I can't be bothered - the fact that roughly half of the UK's laws come from the EU is indicative enough for the size of regulations
    also, the court case where the EU regulated the shape of bananas isn't a lie - that literally did happen, as weird as you may pass it off as
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    my father has to drive a car where it's forced to have its headlights on even during the day because the EU doesn't trust UK citizens to put their lights on when they're needed
    I could give you surely a long, long list, but I can't be bothered - the fact that roughly half of the UK's laws come from the EU is indicative enough for the size of regulations
    also, the court case where the EU regulated the shape of bananas isn't a lie - that literally did happen, as weird as you may pass it off as
    Maybe it's because I passed my test a while ago, but I don't recall having to have my headlights on during the day, nor is this something I see happening today.

ReputationRep:
    Another lie concocted by UKIP to manipulate people.

As for driving a car with its headlights on even during the day, I think it's only your father that the EU doesn't trust to put his headlights on when they're needed, because I've never met anyone in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Maybe it's because I passed my test a while ago, but I don't recall having to have my headlights on during the day, nor is this something I see happening today.
    how new is your car? it's European Union Directive 2008/89/EC (it says 2008 but I don't when it necessarily came into effect)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    how new is your car?
    I don't own a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I don't own a car.
    1) okay, maybe I implied "the car you drive"
    2) to respond to you further - *I* notice it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    1) okay, maybe I implied "the car you drive"
    2) to respond to you further - *I* notice it.
    I don't drive a car at the moment either.

Again, not something I have ever seen nor heard of anyone getting pulled over for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I don't drive a car at the moment either.

Again, not something I have ever seen nor heard of anyone getting pulled over for.
    you won't get pulled over. as soon as you turn your engine on, the lights are on and there's nothing you can do to put them off.

ReputationRep:
    you won't get pulled over. as soon as you turn your engine on, the lights are on and there's nothing you can do to put them off.
    Does this really affect you so much that it's worth leaving the EU over?

ReputationRep:
    Does this really affect you so much that it's worth leaving the EU over?
    I *knew* you would eventually be asking this exact question
    I'm not arguing from subjectivity though. am I? I'm arguing from principle. the principle of self-rule > remote rule. it's only coincidental that self rule happens, in my opinion, to have the prospect of further UK enrichment via our ability to make our own tailored-to-our-own-interests-and-not-the-EU's (free) trade deals.

ReputationRep:
    It's things such as the Working Time Directive, Agency Workers Directive and various reporting requirements, many of which are listed here. Many countries are calling for cuts to business red tape as shown here.

Somewhat confusingly, those are both government sites. The same government which is campaigning to stay in. If the 'in' and the 'out' sides are both saying there's too much red tape then it's probably true.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.