Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So basically I'm 20 now and desperate to start driving, I'm saving up for a car and insurance and I'm starting lessons next month.

Got my heart set on a Toyota Aygo, as it is cheap to insure and I love the look of the car.

So I've been getting quotes, which range from £800-1100 depending on the specific car obviously.

But what I'm not sure about is where to put my address as. I would be taking the car to university during term time and keep the car at home in the holidays. The cheapest insurance options are with a black box, so what should I say my address is...university or home? I go to Lancaster University so the car would be kept in the university car park outside my accommodation, but at home the car will be kept on my drive (making the insurance quote cheaper...home is a town in Teesside on the rural-urban fringe btw)

I would like to put Teesside as my address and say that the car would be kept on the drive but I'll only be home about 22 weeks a year, opposed to 30 at uni. will the black box know that I'm not in Teesside and will the insurance company care?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumos28)
    Hey guys,

So basically I'm 20 now and desperate to start driving, I'm saving up for a car and insurance and I'm starting lessons next month.

Got my heart set on a Toyota Aygo, as it is cheap to insure and I love the look of the car.

So I've been getting quotes, which range from £800-1100 depending on the specific car obviously.

But what I'm not sure about is where to put my address as. I would be taking the car to university during term time and keep the car at home in the holidays. The cheapest insurance options are with a black box, so what should I say my address is...university or home? I go to Lancaster University so the car would be kept in the university car park outside my accommodation, but at home the car will be kept on my drive (making the insurance quote cheaper...home is a town in Teesside on the rural-urban fringe btw)

I would like to put Teesside as my address and say that the car would be kept on the drive but I'll only be home about 22 weeks a year, opposed to 30 at uni. will the black box know that I'm not in Teesside and will the insurance company care?

Thanks
    They can track your cars location through the box. If it's not at the parked address often enough they do get a bit angry! Explain to them your two address situation - your insurance may go up though.

ReputationRep:
    Middlesbrough has huge crime rates and is quite known for scumbags, put it at your university address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumos28)
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    -
    i work with a insurance broker, i can do a quotation for you? if you are serious it is around 45% cheaper with us.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.