Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me with how to get these figures for this question...

Click to enlarge...
    Name:  Calculate the risk.png
Views: 74
Size:  24.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    The risk of men to develop heart disease for the group of 75 and older is calculated by the incidence of men with heart disease divided by population, so it would be 420/1000. That is the number of men in the 75+ group who have heart disease for every 1000 of the population. Similarly, for the incidence of men with heart disease in 18-44 group, it is calculated by the incidence divided by the population. So it would be 30/1000.

The title of the y axis tells you the population size which they are using which is 1000. Looking at the intervals on the y axis, from 0 to 100 there are 5 lines so 100/5 =20, so each line represents 20 people with heart disease. From here you multiply 20 by the line in which you want to find. In the exmaple of the group of 75+, that bar ends on the 21st line, so 21x20 = 420. You do the same for the 18-44 group. Hopefully this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrwnSugR1)
    The risk of men to develop heart disease for the group of 75 and older is calculated by the incidence of men with heart disease divided by population, so it would be 420/1000. That is the number of men in the 75+ group who have heart disease for every 1000 of the population. Similarly, for the incidence of men with heart disease in 18-44 group, it is calculated by the incidence divided by the population. So it would be 30/1000.

The title of the y axis tells you the population size which they are using which is 1000. Looking at the intervals on the y axis, from 0 to 100 there are 5 lines so 100/5 =20, so each line represents 20 people with heart disease. From here you multiply 20 by the line in which you want to find. In the exmaple of the group of 75+, that bar ends on the 21st line, so 21x20 = 420. You do the same for the 18-44 group. Hopefully this helps.
    Thank you!! You explained this very well to me! But am still a little confused as I still don't know why the mark scheme says your answer should be between 11-13. What even is that a measurement of?

Re-edited:
    Actually don't worry I've managed to work it out using your explanation.
    It means you are 11 times more likely to develop the disease as a male when you are 75 or over in comparison to a male who is between the age 18 and 44 years.Therefore is a 38.5% increased chance (42% total chance of developing heart disease as a male at 75 or over, and 3.5% chance of developing the disease between age 18 and 44 years old)

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have taught biological sciences at Manchester and Cambridge and have published work in neuroscience. Please PM me should you require any further biology assistance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.