Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone is preparing at the moment for the English Equivalency test?
    I should really get started my preparation, but I struggle whenever I open the book. Now I kind of wish that I opted for the online course for it, but it seemed better idea to prepare for it myself since I am doing at the moment a subject knowledge course in math, which takes up lots of time.

I have read through a previous forum about this and found some useful advises, but would be nice if I found someone who is in a similar shoe and we could help each other.

ReputationRep:
    Equivalency test? whats that? sorry XD

ReputationRep:
    It is equavalent to GCSE, but you can do it anytime.
    I am an oversee student so I do not have an english GCSE and nothing I have they would compair with it. NARIC accepted my other subjects but not the English.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, where I can get the book from? I have only one month to sit the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hi did you do the exam? I did it today.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,I am in the same boat as you. Naric accepted all the subjects other than English. I took equivalency test at the school two weeks ago but failed unfortunately. This has knocked off my confidence with English. Please, could you help by telling me, what did you get in the paper and how did you prepare? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuncsi)
    Anyone is preparing at the moment for the English Equivalency test?
    I should really get started my preparation, but I struggle whenever I open the book. Now I kind of wish that I opted for the online course for it, but it seemed better idea to prepare for it myself since I am doing at the moment a subject knowledge course in math, which takes up lots of time.

I have read through a previous forum about this and found some useful advises, but would be nice if I found someone who is in a similar shoe and we could help each other.
    Hi, I failed last sat and the reason was I didn't do well in the poem section, I will redo the exam again end of August, what about you ? I prepared from a paper they sent me also they sent me 2 past exams papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_butt786)
    Hi there,I am in the same boat as you. Naric accepted all the subjects other than English. I took equivalency test at the school two weeks ago but failed unfortunately. This has knocked off my confidence with English. Please, could you help by telling me, what did you get in the paper and how did you prepare? thanks
    Hi I failed mine too last Sat, what did you get in the paper, I wrote about a a journey and why it's memorable

ReputationRep:
    If u like we can help each other. with which orgznizatiin u will be taking the exam. mine is a star teachers

ReputationRep:
    my articles were all related to global warming. I was asked to write a formal speech encouring people to join in activity to reduce global warming as a result. and also about an event in which weather played a significant role

ReputationRep:
    astar trachers equivalency doesnt have poem section. its non fiction reading n writing. I have to do with them as my initial teacher training provider /alliance has asked me to do exam with them

ReputationRep:
    paper appeared to be more like a science paper and questions were also more related to scientific based rather than english based. thts my opinion. our invigilator also confirmed tht his first impression of the paper was also of science. well this proves tht my english is not good enough n tht I need to work hard but I am lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_butt786)
    paper appeared to be more like a science paper and questions were also more related to scientific based rather than english based. thts my opinion. our invigilator also confirmed tht his first impression of the paper was also of science. well this proves tht my english is not good enough n tht I need to work hard but I am lost.
    it's good that you don't have to do poem , what is the pass mark? I am doing it with English equivalency test and the next exam is on the 26th Aug.

The poem section was not easy, the reading and writing sections was not difficult , the reading section was about outdoor activities and children.

ReputationRep:
    I took the last exam in brentwood about two weeks ago, thought I had flunked it but passed with a grade B (english higher)

I would recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruffs-Engl.../dp/B00BNWVXC8 for revision!

I had two articles to read on children playing outside then questions to answer, then I wrote a speech on 'should the government and doctors tell us what we should eat' then finally the tricky poetry section, I am an avid reader but poetry is not my thing so it was the hardest part for me. I would recommend learning all the technical terms stanza, enjambment, couplet etc! there arent many to learn really and using them will gain you marks if you can show your understanding of the way a poem is structured. The poems I had were nettles and the harmonium, nettles was pretty straightforward but the other one was not! BBC GCSE bitesize has a great resource for poems and you will likely come accross the poems they feature in the exam! For the first section really read and re read the questions and make sure you answer them! its easy to waffle on for a whole page and not really answer a question!

Time goes very fast! dont spend too much time on the first section - this is a common error! in fact if I had to do it again I would probably work backwards through the paper and start with poetry as that has a lot of marks. Spelling and grammar will get you an extra 10 marks too so really focus on that!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zr9d7ty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...sh_literature/ (scroll down and you will find the poetry sections)

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.