Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I have come to the conclusion that i want to drop out of Uni and go work with my dad. I am just wondering how do i go about dropping out, like who do i speak to and what does it do in terms of my student finance?

I have just received my final payment for it and i still have to pay off my rent for my accommodation. Will i have to give it back straight away to the government?

I am wondering if i could drop out before my final exams in May or have I left it too late? Should i just finish the year?

Overall I'm more worried about the finance side of things and paying back tuition fees and loans. Is it all done the same as if i finished Uni or is it done differently? Also would i have to pay the uni for this final term?

Thanks all
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jonno310)
    Hi all

I have come to the conclusion that i want to drop out of Uni and go work with my dad. I am just wondering how do i go about dropping out, like who do i speak to and what does it do in terms of my student finance?

I have just received my final payment for it and i still have to pay off my rent for my accommodation. Will i have to give it back straight away to the government?

I am wondering if i could drop out before my final exams in May or have I left it too late? Should i just finish the year?

Overall I'm more worried about the finance side of things and paying back tuition fees and loans. Is it all done the same as if i finished Uni or is it done differently? Also would i have to pay the uni for this final term?

Thanks all
    You'll have to give any overpaid maintenance back either immediately or they'll let you set up a payment plan. Look into your accomodation contract as its likely you'd need a replacement otherwise you'd owe them the money back. I think at this point if you could try to finish the year, you would be better of financially and if there's any chance you could pass some modules then you get some credit if you decide to go back to uni in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You'll have to give any overpaid maintenance back either immediately or they'll let you set up a payment plan. Look into your accomodation contract as its likely you'd need a replacement otherwise you'd owe them the money back. I think at this point if you could try to finish the year, you would be better of financially and if there's any chance you could pass some modules then you get some credit if you decide to go back to uni in the future.
    If i were to finish completely for the year do you know how this would affect my tuition fee/Maintenance loan? Like would i not have to start paying it back until earning over a certain amount or would there still be an over payment?

Thank you for the reply
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If i were to finish completely for the year do you know how this would affect my tuition fee/Maintenance loan? Like would i not have to start paying it back until earning over a certain amount or would there still be an over payment?

Thank you for the reply
    Tuition fee is normal rules. As you get a bit extra in the last maintenance payment to cover the summer unless you were to leave in august you would still have a little bit as an overpayment.

ReputationRep:
    Finish the year.

You'll have a sense of achievement for having done that, - in terms of now looking for work, 'I finished the year; sounds a great deal better than 'I dropped out' - and you would have the summer to think things through clearly before telling the Uni you don't want to continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Finish the year.

You'll have a sense of achievement for having done that, - in terms of now looking for work, 'I finished the year; sounds a great deal better than 'I dropped out' - and you would have the summer to think things through clearly before telling the Uni you don't want to continue.
    When do i have to let the Uni know i'm dropping out?

ReputationRep:
    Not until late August effectively - ie. tell them when they email you about re-enrolment for next year.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You should let them know as soon as you have decided that you wish to do so. They cant stop you leaving, but its better to tie up any loose ends. You should make a to do list of people you should contact to shut everything down.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't done so already - go and see your Personal Tutor (this is exactly what they are there for) and then the Finance folk at your Students Union for advice about money/loans/pay back etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.