Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was doing a little thought experiment which got me a bit confused...

Imagine that you hold a block next to a rough, vertical wall, and then let go. The block will fall downwards due to its weight, but because it's in contact with the wall, there will be friction acting upwards (which means the block's acceleration will be less than 9.81 ms^-2). Now, since the block is moving, F = \mu R - however, surely there is no normal contact force exerted by the wall on the block, since the block's weight acts vertically? If so, wouldn't that mean that there is no frictional force...?

Confused - help!

ReputationRep:
    Nice problem, got me thinking also!
    Perhaps the flow of air around the block sort of creates downforce, acting horizontally in this case. This creates a contact force between the block and wall. I'm no engineer though, what do you reckon?

What's to say that the block even experiences any friction?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MrLatinNerd)

Imagine that you hold a block next to a rough, vertical wall, and then let go. The block will fall downwards due to its weight, but because it's in contact with the wall, there will be friction acting upwards (which means the block's acceleration will be less than 9.81 ms^-2). Now, since the block is moving, F = \mu R - however, surely there is no normal contact force exerted by the wall on the block, since the block's weight acts vertically? If so, wouldn't that mean that there is no frictional force...?

Confused - help!
    The block probably won't remain in contact with the wall throughout its descent. Try an experiment by placing an object against a wall and dropping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrLatinNerd)

Confused - help!
    There are different kinds of frictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    There are different kinds of frictions.
    OK... So in this case, how does (sliding?) friction behave - how can you calculate the magnitude of the frictional force?

Edit: also, why does friction act differently in this scenario to one where the block is in contact with a plane inclined at an acute angle?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.