CatL8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have already applied to all my uni choices, BIMM being one of them. I have applied to do music production at both the Manchester and Brighton colleges and was just wondering if there is anyone already on the course or who knows anything about what the course and place is like?
I loved it when I went to the open days, however since it's not a 'proper' uni and more of a college I am just worried that the degree may not have the same kind of value/usefulness as a degree from an established uni like Birmingham or somewhere.
At the end of the day I just want to gain the skills I need to pursue the career I want in the music industry.
Hope this post makes sense, and thankyou in advance
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CatL8)
I have already applied to all my uni choices, BIMM being one of them. I have applied to do music production at both the Manchester and Brighton colleges and was just wondering if there is anyone already on the course or who knows anything about what the course and place is like?
I loved it when I went to the open days, however since it's not a 'proper' uni and more of a college I am just worried that the degree may not have the same kind of value/usefulness as a degree from an established uni like Birmingham or somewhere.
At the end of the day I just want to gain the skills I need to pursue the career I want in the music industry.
Hope this post makes sense, and thankyou in advance
Hi

I've moved this to the Performing arts and music forum. If you look around you'll see there are threads for most of the BIMM colleges. Most of the people posting there are applicants but they'll still hopefully have some insight
CatL8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Hi

I've moved this to the Performing arts and music forum. If you look around you'll see there are threads for most of the BIMM colleges. Most of the people posting there are applicants but they'll still hopefully have some insight
oh right thank you! I can never find the right place to post
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CatL8)
oh right thank you! I can never find the right place to post
Don't worry - a lot of music and drama people end up in that forum!
Rcknrll182
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been today to the Bimm open day and I loved it, but I'm wondering the same!
mertcutio
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, I know this is a bit late, but would you know any GOOD unis for Music Production/Electronic Music Production? OR would you not recommend going to uni at all? I just figured since production is more of a practical subject with more technical and practically based learning it might be a bit different.
ellisq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As a second year student, give this place a miss. I'm a songwriting student, and currently, I'm not learning anything to do with songwriting. They may look great on paper, with 'the many endorsements they have with big companys' but they are just trying to make their money back from the looks of it. I'm having a miserable time atm, and they only seem to love people who are willing to endorse the soulless, unknowing, uncooperative students who just want likes on their Google review form. Just go somewhere else.
ellisq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As a second year student, I can honestly say no. I attend BIMM Manchester, thinking that it was the best place in the North West of England to study for music degree. I was just wondering very wrong. Most of the stuff they teach you in first year is what you can easily find online. Second year is just acedimic stuff that doesn't even apply to what I want to do in the future. If I were you, SAVE YOUR MONEY. It might sound good when they say they're endorsed by big companys like Marshall and Orange. They pay for the cheapest gear. The tutorsay have experience in the industry but they don't have a clue as to how they got there. I've got work working with people without the 'uni experience' without them helping in any way shape or form. So no, BIMM as good as winging it in the music industry yourself rather than having "qualified people" telling you the same thing. They're just after the money.
mertcutio
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ellisq)
As a second year student, I can honestly say no. I attend BIMM Manchester, thinking that it was the best place in the North West of England to study for music degree. I was just wondering very wrong. Most of the stuff they teach you in first year is what you can easily find online. Second year is just acedimic stuff that doesn't even apply to what I want to do in the future. If I were you, SAVE YOUR MONEY. It might sound good when they say they're endorsed by big companys like Marshall and Orange. They pay for the cheapest gear. The tutorsay have experience in the industry but they don't have a clue as to how they got there. I've got work working with people without the 'uni experience' without them helping in any way shape or form. So no, BIMM as good as winging it in the music industry yourself rather than having "qualified people" telling you the same thing. They're just after the money.
Thanks, appreciate the honesty. This is exactly what I was afraid of. I'll be sure to go somewhere better (I've looked about and I've seen a few which are distinctly not like BIMM)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.17%
England (108)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.41%
Germany (38)
11.84%
Spain (6)
1.87%