CatL8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have already applied to all my uni choices, BIMM being one of them. I have applied to do music production at both the Manchester and Brighton colleges and was just wondering if there is anyone already on the course or who knows anything about what the course and place is like?
I loved it when I went to the open days, however since it's not a 'proper' uni and more of a college I am just worried that the degree may not have the same kind of value/usefulness as a degree from an established uni like Birmingham or somewhere.
At the end of the day I just want to gain the skills I need to pursue the career I want in the music industry.
Hope this post makes sense, and thankyou in advance
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CatL8)
I have already applied to all my uni choices, BIMM being one of them. I have applied to do music production at both the Manchester and Brighton colleges and was just wondering if there is anyone already on the course or who knows anything about what the course and place is like?
I loved it when I went to the open days, however since it's not a 'proper' uni and more of a college I am just worried that the degree may not have the same kind of value/usefulness as a degree from an established uni like Birmingham or somewhere.
At the end of the day I just want to gain the skills I need to pursue the career I want in the music industry.
Hope this post makes sense, and thankyou in advance
Hi

I've moved this to the Performing arts and music forum. If you look around you'll see there are threads for most of the BIMM colleges. Most of the people posting there are applicants but they'll still hopefully have some insight
CatL8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Hi

I've moved this to the Performing arts and music forum. If you look around you'll see there are threads for most of the BIMM colleges. Most of the people posting there are applicants but they'll still hopefully have some insight
oh right thank you! I can never find the right place to post
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CatL8)
oh right thank you! I can never find the right place to post
Don't worry - a lot of music and drama people end up in that forum!
Rcknrll182
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been today to the Bimm open day and I loved it, but I'm wondering the same!
IBreakTheDawn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
NO don't do it!

Trust me, by time you get to 3rd year, you'll be de-motivated and your passion for music will have been drained by pointless academia that will take up 80% of your course (and that's if you choose one of the performance modules) otherwise it will be 100%

If you want a career in music. GO FOR IT. Don't waste 3 years on academia that will do nothing to build your career and get invaluable and CV-building work experience under your belt.

Also, they don't have the facilities of a normal/large university, so unless you religiously wait to book a few rehearsal spaces a week in advance, you'll be forking out £30 a rehearsal if you want an hour or 2 with a full band. If you want to rehearse once a week, that's £120 a month or 1/5 or so of rent in Brighton to have a room in a house or flat share.

There are no societies or clubs. They don't have an on-site library so you have to use the University of Sussex (a 30 min bus journey away from the main campus - BIMM House and West).

Also the vast majority of deadlines and assignments are in the LAST MONTH of the year! In 3rd year, literally ALL 5 MODULES have assessments crammed into a single 3 week period from 7 May-21 May ALL WORK IS DUE! Deadlines aren't set throughout the year like most universities.

AVOID.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads