FAILING GCSEs

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    I AM SO SCARED.
    I know for a fact that could do really well, however I haven't done enough revision at all and can't cram it in to one month.
    DO UNIVERSITIES LOOK AT GCSE RESULTS?????????????????
    If so, I am royally screwed.
    Plez help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EML26)
    I AM SO SCARED.
    I know for a fact that could do really well, however I haven't done enough revision at all and can't cram it in to one month.
    DO UNIVERSITIES LOOK AT GCSE RESULTS?????????????????
    If so, I am royally screwed.
    Plez help me
    It depends what course you're applying to; If you're looking at going to Oxbridge or studying medicine you need to at least have average or above average grades for that subject

Otherwise as long as you have above C or B's in your English and maths (at most universities) you should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    It depends what course you're applying to; If you're looking at going to Oxbridge or studying medicine you need to at least have average or above average grades for that subject

Otherwise as long as you have above C or B's in your English and maths (at most universities) you should be okay.
    Oohhh okay, thank you!
    I was thinking Oxbridge at one point but I've gone really down hill. But you never know, hopefully i'll be able to sort myself out in time to at least get average grades then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EML26)
    Oohhh okay, thank you!
    I was thinking Oxbridge at one point but I've gone really down hill. But you never know, hopefully i'll be able to sort myself out in time to at least get average grades then.
    The average for medicine is something ridiculous like 6-11 A*'s
    A month is plenty of time if you do it right

ReputationRep:
    Ok let's get this sorted, first of all calm down and breathe
    You will be ok my dear.
    If this was A level then I would agree and say yea pretty much but as it's GCSEs know it is not too late. First what subjects are you doing at GCSE, do any have coursework, if so would you mind saying their predicted grades or actual grades if they have any. Would you mind stating your career goals also. Don't worry, this isn't all random- knowing this will help me understand what kind of situation you're in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Ok let's get this sorted, first of all calm down and breathe
    You will be ok my dear.
    If this was A level then I would agree and say yea pretty much but as it's GCSEs know it is not too late. First what subjects are you doing at GCSE, do any have coursework, if so would you mind saying their predicted grades or actual grades if they have any. Would you mind stating your career goals also. Don't worry, this isn't all random- knowing this will help me understand what kind of situation you're in.
    Predicted grades:
    Maths B
    Double Science AA
    Geography A*
    History A*
    English Lit A*
    English Lan A*
    RE A*
    Italian A*

Mock results (from last month):
    Maths D
    Double Science CC
    Geography B
    History A
    English Lit B
    English Lan A
    RE B
    Italian A*

I'm not really sure on career options yet, plan for A-Levels is:
    Italian
    History
    Geography
    Philosophy and Ethics

I just know that I really want to get to a top university for Italian (possibly joint honours degree with another subject, maybe a new language)

I think I'm panicking because I have so much to live up to with my predicted grades!

Just work hard, use your time intelligently and do your best. worry or do what you like after. Study not worrying will get you extra marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EML26)
    Predicted grades:
    Maths B
    Oh, then you should be ok
    -With the subjects you feel most comfortable with just begin doing past papers. This will tell you the areas you need to work on then anything your stuck on email your teacher or ask them at school. Working on past papers is the best method as this is what you'll be dealing with in your real exam. Trust me, I know people who just did past papers a few weeks before their GCSE exam for maths without any notes etc on formulas but came out with an A*.
    If you haven't finished your notes, start finishing them off but do so productively. Make flashcards and look at them everyday because at this point you'll have to cram a little. For English Mr.Bruff saved me. I know I shouldn't say this but he does predictions each year on questions he believes will come up. This is what got me that B grade in the exam. I watched the video in the morning as well, not even the night before. If you can review your notes.
    -At the end of the day, if things don't go to plan it's perfectly ok.
    I know students who didn't have the best GCSEs but smashed their A levels, then went to top, Russell group universities such as UCL, Durham and even Cambridge. Our head girl at my previous sixth form had ok GCSEs (3 As, 3 Bs and the rest Cs) but did well at AS, had a great personal statement, did well in her interview and I believe she had to do an entry exam- not sure but I'm assuming she did since it's law. Overall once she entered year 12, she became very focused and finished with A*A*AA. So it's not impossible.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.