Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Our schools award ceremony is on the 15th of June. My Spanish teacher was talking to our class about it and he said that another person in the class would be getting the prize. He got 95% in the prelim, I got 94%. However, I believe strongly that my prelim was marked unfairly and that my percentage should have been higher. This is important to me as in the future I wish to study modern languages at Cambridge. I am clearly the best at the subject, I answer over 80% of the questions in class that the teacher asks and my ability at the subject is clearly superior to the boy who got 95%. Also, I finished the prelim in 30 minutes and the prelim lasted 1 hour and 40. I know someone else who has had this problem with the history prize.

The official letters to confirm prizes have not yet been sent out.

In your opinion, do you think it is worth asking for a remark or making a complaint?

I don't want to be an inconvenience or irritate the teacher.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sophie507)
    Our schools award ceremony is on the 15th of June. My Spanish teacher was talking to our class about it and he said that another person in the class would be getting the prize. He got 95% in the prelim, I got 94%. However, I believe strongly that my prelim was marked unfairly and that my percentage should have been higher. This is important to me as in the future I wish to study modern languages at Cambridge. I am clearly the best at the subject, I answer over 80% of the questions in class that the teacher asks and my ability at the subject is clearly superior to the boy who got 95%. Also, I finished the prelim in 30 minutes and the prelim lasted 1 hour and 40. I know someone else who has had this problem with the history prize.

In your opinion, do you think it is worth asking for a remark or making a complaint?

I don't think Cambridge are going to care that much about a school prize tbh. Your PS, official grades and extra curricular will matter a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I don't think Cambridge are going to care that much about a school prize tbh. Your PS, official grades and extra curricular will matter a lot more.
    I suppose so. However I do enjoy being recognized for doing well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I suppose so. However I do enjoy being recognized for doing well.
    As do I, but in 20 years time you're not going to care.

ReputationRep:

They got higher than you, end of.

Why is it based on prelims anyway? My school bases it off of the actual exam results...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    They got higher than you, end of.

Why is it based on prelims anyway? My school bases it off of the actual exam results...
    My school bases it on prelims, thats why I never won anything lol, couldn't care less about prelims.

ReputationRep:
    Asklepios I bet this was u at school

ReputationRep:
    IMO Prizegivings are a load of ****. In my school the same students every year got it, It didn't matter how good they were, it was just a biased system. I was the only person in my physics class who got an A in the prelim and I still didn't get it. They just give it to people just because they are in the top set class or are a favourite. It honestly dosen't matter. Just a silly little prize that dosen't count for anything.

ReputationRep:
    At least your school does proper prizes. Ours is just a certificate that says excellence in... And achievement in... And people that did nat4s were getting excellences for showing up to school and my friend got 72% in English (a B since bands went up) and never even got an achievement. It's annoying because I was highest for music and French and you don't really get recognised, also I couldn't get dux or prox because I did nat4 pe )))))

ReputationRep:
    This is so embarrassing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    As do I, but in 20 years time you're not going to care.
    *20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelbtf)
    At least your school does proper prizes. Ours is just a certificate that says excellence in... And achievement in... And people that did nat4s were getting excellences for showing up to school and my friend got 72% in English (a B since bands went up) and never even got an achievement. It's annoying because I was highest for music and French and you don't really get recognised, also I couldn't get dux or prox because I did nat4 pe )))))
    That was my experience at my high school. People got awards for basically not throwing stuff around the classroom and no-one got awards for actual achievement. It pissed me off then. But 10 years later I don't give a **** cos the awards meant nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopinfan)
    This is so embarrassing...
    Legit makes me embarrassed I frequented this site
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This is important to me as in the future I wish to study modern languages at Cambridge.
    It might be important to you but it certainly isn't to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    No one cares about prizegiving when it comes to UCAS. The only reason you should be upset is because you were denied the recognition of your achievements. In the long run, any prizegiving awards, even if mentioned in your academic reference, are going to have an absolutely negligible effect on your application.

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHAHAHAHA we 6 year olds now? get a life, cambridge don't care at all about some small school prize.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid without that prize all you've have to look forward to is lifelong unemployment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSJBlue)
    IMO Prizegivings are a load of ****. In my school the same students every year got it, It didn't matter how good they were, it was just a biased system. I was the only person in my physics class who got an A in the prelim and I still didn't get it. They just give it to people just because they are in the top set class or are a favourite. It honestly dosen't matter. Just a silly little prize that dosen't count for anything.
    So true. Last year I didn't get the english prize despite getting the highest prelim mark. I was in the second top set and the girl who won it was in the top set

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_georgia998)
    So true. Last year I didn't get the english prize despite getting the highest prelim mark. I was in the second top set and the girl who won it was in the top set
    Oh how awful? How did you cope? I presume you must of had to have gone to therapy. Your future is ruined.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ok, I think the topic has been exhausted. Thread closed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.