The Student Room Group

What A levels?

I need to choose my A levels very imminently and I am unsure of what to pick, so wondered if I could possibly have some advice? I'd be very grateful!

The problem is, I don't know what I want to do when I'm older - until the last year, I was certain I wanted to be a vet, but I am now unsure. I am really passionate about animals, so am concerned that perhaps being a vet isn't as focused on being with animals as I would like, and more for people who's main interest is science. If anyone out there has had any experience with this, I'd also be grateful for advice with this!
If I decide not to be a vet, it will be something to do with animals - maybe zoology, marine biology... I would love to do something with animal rehabilitation, but I just can't find the right thing!

Anyway, if I am to keep as many options in this field open as possible, what would you suggest taking at A level? I have narrowed it down to Chemistry, Biology (both pretty much definite because they are essential for most courses I've looked at), English Language and Literature, Geography, History and R.S. Currently, I am in a pretty poor school and don't feel that I can safely say what are my favourite subjects because, in general, the teachers of science-y subjects (Science, Geography) are much worse than those of the humanities. I do prefer History to Geography, for example, but that could be because of the teacher. I've looked at the A level courses for each subject and they do interest me, but I'm just worried that I'd be picking science subjects just to pursue a career I might not enjoy. But, the thing is, there aren't any job options that I like the sound of that would come of History, English, etc.

I guess I'd just like any advice you have - whether you are have taken any of the subjects at A level and can tell me what it's really like, are going through something similar, or have taken an animal-based course at uni and have some advice. Thank you very much and I apologise if I have waffled too much! :smile:
Remember this is completely my opinion, but

If you want to do English, definitely choose Literature over Language :tongue: It's viewed more highly.
R.S. is a very good one to take. Especially because most courses tie Ethics into it, which I recall works well with jobs such as vets. *I remember my RS teacher saying something along those lines.*
But I suppose apart from that, have a good think about it. I'm quite sure most schools let you change your options pretty much right up until September.

And remember, a good mark in an A-level you enjoy is better than a bad mark in an A-level you felt you had to take. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by draculaura
Remember this is completely my opinion, but

If you want to do English, definitely choose Literature over Language :tongue: It's viewed more highly.
R.S. is a very good one to take. Especially because most courses tie Ethics into it, which I recall works well with jobs such as vets. *I remember my RS teacher saying something along those lines.*
But I suppose apart from that, have a good think about it. I'm quite sure most schools let you change your options pretty much right up until September.

And remember, a good mark in an A-level you enjoy is better than a bad mark in an A-level you felt you had to take. Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you for your help! :smile: That's really weird because I've heard that about English Literature quite a few times, but my teachers have said that it's a useless GCSE and that employers don't look at it! Weird!Do you think that it matters that RS is not a so-called 'facilitating' subject? I'm hoping that I can change my mind after I've seen my GCSE results.That last bit is good advice! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Beth141299
Thank you for your help! :smile: That's really weird because I've heard that about English Literature quite a few times, but my teachers have said that it's a useless GCSE and that employers don't look at it! Weird!Do you think that it matters that RS is not a so-called 'facilitating' subject? I'm hoping that I can change my mind after I've seen my GCSE results.That last bit is good advice! Thanks again :smile:

English literature is viewed highly by universities as it's considered to be the 'harder' English.
Original post by Beth141299

Very welcome :smile:
English Lit. is actually a very good A-level to take. (Though it may seem pointless) Like Anmol said, it is viewed higher rather than Language. Out of curiosity, do you know about the Cambridge A-list? I'll give you it now. It's a really good way to know what subjects are "softer" not just by Cambridge but by a lot of top universities.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations
(You may have to scroll a bit) - Notice how Lit is in the A and Lang in the B?

From things I've seen too - many people can end up doing a degree at a top uni (even Oxbridge) when they never even did it for A-level. One girl had an offer at Oxbridge for classics, though she had never done any Latin or Greek in her life. As long as you do academics it doesn't matter too much what you take. As long as it can relate a bit to what you want to do it should really be fine.
:biggrin:
Reply 5
Biology and Maths if you want to do something animal related (and chemistry really to at least AS)
Reply 6
Original post by Anmol_.
English literature is viewed highly by universities as it's considered to be the 'harder' English.

Oh right, I see! Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AfcFob
Biology and Maths if you want to do something animal related (and chemistry really to at least AS)

Thanks :smile: I will be doing chemistry and biology, but none of the universities I've looked at seem to say there is anything essential after that!
Reply 8
Original post by draculaura
Very welcome :smile:
English Lit. is actually a very good A-level to take. (Though it may seem pointless) Like Anmol said, it is viewed higher rather than Language. Out of curiosity, do you know about the Cambridge A-list? I'll give you it now. It's a really good way to know what subjects are "softer" not just by Cambridge but by a lot of top universities.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations
(You may have to scroll a bit) - Notice how Lit is in the A and Lang in the B?

From things I've seen too - many people can end up doing a degree at a top uni (even Oxbridge) when they never even did it for A-level. One girl had an offer at Oxbridge for classics, though she had never done any Latin or Greek in her life. As long as you do academics it doesn't matter too much what you take. As long as it can relate a bit to what you want to do it should really be fine.
:biggrin:

My A Level option form had to be in yesterday, so it was very rushed because there were some clashes with what I wanted to do and I couldn't get hold of the school until yesterday. There was one column where there was nothing I've ever considered doing, so I've ended up with Sociology. Although I'm gutted, it is a fourth option, so at least it's not affecting the sciences or anything!
I ended up taking Chemistry, Biology and History as my others, but I am hoping that I can change them closer to the time if I decide to.
I had not seen the Cambridge A-list, so I shall have a look at that!
Thank you for all your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest