Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't seem to be able to complete the square for this? watch

ReputationRep:

Part b) specifically.

I did 2x^2 + 8x + 3 = (x+2)^2 - 4 + (3/2)
    = (x+2)^2 - (5/2)

That is apparently incorrect.
    The answer is 2(x + 2)^2 - 5

I don't understand how that was achieved though. I see it like this:
    2(x^2 +4x + (3/2))

2((x + 2)^2 - 4 + (3/2)), which is practically the same?
    How else do I do this?

And can anyone explain to me why 2(x^2 +4x + (3/2)) is the same as just x^2 + 4x + (3/2) ? I mean surely they're not equal, the first one is x2 the second one, but I was taught that doing so to an equation is fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostyy)
    Do you agree that you can write 4 = 2\times 2? i.e: you can pull a factor of 2 out?

So for example, when you're given 2x^2 + 8x + 3 = (2 \times x^2) + (2 \times 4x) + (2 \times \frac{3}{2}) you can then pull the common factor of 2 out to get you 2(x^2 + 4x + 3/2).

Then you complete the square on the inside: 2((x+2)^2 -4 + 3/2) = 2((x+2)^2 -5/2) = 2(x+2)^2 - 2 \times \frac{5}{2} = 2(x+2)^2 - 5.

Which step don't you understand in here?

ReputationRep:
    Try arranging 2x^2 + 8x into p(x+q)^2

2(x+2)^2 which is equal to 2(x^2 + 4x + 4).

If you expand that it becomes 2x^2 + 8x + 8, then you have to find what r is equal to to make +8 equal to +3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Do you agree that you can write 4 = 2\times 2? i.e: you can pull a factor of 2 out?

So for example, when you're given 2x^2 + 8x + 3 = (2 \times x^2) + (2 \times 4x) + (2 \times \frac{3}{2}) you can then pull the common factor of 2 out to get you 2(x^2 + 4x + 3/2).

Then you complete the square on the inside: 2((x+2)^2 -4 + 3/2) = 2((x+2)^2 -5/2) = 2(x+2)^2 - 2 \times \frac{5}{2} = 2(x+2)^2 - 5.

Which step don't you understand in here?
    Oh right, sorry. I just left it in the form 2((x+2)^2 - (5/2)) and got confused.

Anyway, cheers, I really appreciate your help in all the topics that I post on this website, I really do. Hope Jesus will give you many women, you deserve them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostyy)
    Oh right, sorry. I just left it in the form 2((x+2)^2 - (5/2)) and got confused.

Anyway, cheers, I really appreciate your help in all the topics that I post on this website, I really do. Hope Jesus will give you many women, you deserve them.
    Yay! Glad that cleared things up. Cheers, mate - don't worry about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.