Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted into both Cranfield School of Management (MSc in Finance & Management) and University College London (MSc in Management). However, I am having trouble deciding which offer would be better choose. I am from the United States and would like to find a career in accounting or financial services in London following the end of my course. Both seem to be well ranked and Cranfield is quite a bit cheaper. Any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    From a completelynonbusiness point, in terms of prestige, if you said you went to UCL everyone would know that university, but not as many people would know Cranfield.

However, you wouldn't be trying to impress nonbusiness people with a degree, and Cranfield is probably well respected in the business world if it is high ranking, but overall, UCL is more well known.

ReputationRep:
    Cranfield is well known and well regarded within the UK business world - it doesn't matter that the average person may not have heard of it. If Cranfield is significantly cheaper then it sounds like a no-brainer. Living costs will be much lower than London, too.

I've got an engineering degree from Cranfield so if you've got any questions about the place I'd be happy to try and help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrlandoMag)
    Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted into both Cranfield School of Management (MSc in Finance & Management) and University College London (MSc in Management). However, I am having trouble deciding which offer would be better choose. I am from the United States and would like to find a career in accounting or financial services in London following the end of my course. Both seem to be well ranked and Cranfield is quite a bit cheaper. Any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated.
    UCL is one of 6 target schools in the UK. To get into finance UCL is several leagues above cranfield, a school which is not even considered a "semi-target".

If you're serious about finance the only point in which it becomes a challenge is if you're deciding between: Oxford/Cambridge/ICL/LSE/LBS/Warwick/UCL

If cost is a major issue i'd recommend you look at the likes of Cass, Manchester etc. these aren't as good as UCL but are still considered "semi" - targets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    UCL is one of 6 target schools in the UK. To get into finance UCL is several leagues above cranfield, a school which is not even considered a "semi-target".

If you're serious about finance the only point in which it becomes a challenge is if you're deciding between: Oxford/Cambridge/ICL/LSE/LBS/Warwick/UCL

If cost is a major issue i'd recommend you look at the likes of Cass, Manchester etc. these aren't as good as UCL but are still considered "semi" - targets

Thanks for the response! You think even though the program at UCL is a MSc in Management with an emphasis in Finance, it would still be better for breaking into finance jobs in London?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response! You think even though the program at UCL is a MSc in Management with an emphasis in Finance, it would still be better for breaking into finance jobs in London?

Of course the majority of your class at UCL will likely be there for the same reason. Going to a target makes it much easier to get into finance but it's still crazy difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

You will regret not choosing UCL. Especially for finance. If you want to go into some of the more juicy jobs, not
    coming from an outstanding uni will literally make it impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Cranfield is well known and well regarded within the UK business world - it doesn't matter that the average person may not have heard of it. If Cranfield is significantly cheaper then it sounds like a no-brainer. Living costs will be much lower than London, too.

I've got an engineering degree from Cranfield so if you've got any questions about the place I'd be happy to try and help.
    Hello,

I would like to ask! if you have to choose for Msc Process Systems Engineering between Surrey and Cranfield? as for the modules surrey has more according to the website!!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Shelly81)
    Hello,

I would like to ask! if you have to choose for Msc Process Systems Engineering between Surrey and Cranfield? as for the modules surrey has more according to the website!!!

Hi Shelly,

I thought I should put down here what the modules are with Cranfield's MSc Process Systems Engineering;

Management for Technology: Energy Risk and Reliability; Engineering Process Plant Operations; Process Design and Simulation

Optional
    Pumps and Pumping Systems Process Measurement Systems Advanced Control Systems Computational Fluid Dynamics for Industrial Processes Thermal Systems Operation and Design.

Fees for International Student is £17,500 for Cranfield.

Fees for International Students for Surrey is £19,000.

In Cranfield you become part of an Engineering Community, that was rated top 40 in the world, for mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering disciplines by QS world university rankings just as recent as 2016.

In the UK, only Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial share the same Top 40 spot with Cranfield.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-e...ng-engineering

Any questions, feel free to ask. You can visit Cranfield and Surrey's website to help in your decision making!

Cheers,

Oke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cranfield University)
    Hi Shelly,

I thought I should put down here what the modules are with Cranfield's MSc Process Systems Engineering;

Management for Technology: Energy Risk and Reliability; Engineering Process Plant Operations; Process Design and Simulation

Optional
    Pumps and Pumping Systems Process Measurement Systems Advanced Control Systems Computational Fluid Dynamics for Industrial Processes Thermal Systems Operation and Design.

Fees for International Student is £17,500 for Cranfield.

Fees for International Students for Surrey is £19,000.

In Cranfield you become part of an Engineering Community, that was rated top 40 in the world, for mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering disciplines by QS world university rankings just as recent as 2016.

In the UK, only Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial share the same Top 40 spot with Cranfield.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-e...ng-engineering

Any questions, feel free to ask. You can visit Cranfield and Surrey's website to help in your decision making!

Cheers,

Oke.
    thanks again Oke, that s interesting

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.