The Student Room Group

Shocking video shows school worker punching autistic boy after racial remark

Excerpt taken from the Washington Post:

"A Brooklyn father says he’s suing after viewing newly released video footage that shows a school official punching his autistic son in the head.Anatoly Veltman Sr. is seeking $5 million in damages over the 2014 incident at Public School 225 in Brighton Beach, where a paraprofessional trained to work with special-needs students struck then-11-year-old Anatoly Veltman Jr.Milton Parker was initially charged with felony assault for striking the boy in the school cafeteria.

Parker pleaded guilty last year to a lesser charge misdemeanor assault and was required to attend anger management classes, according to WNBC.

The elder Veltman told The Washington Post that he’s still shocked that a veteran paraprofessional like Parker could have assaulted his child.“I am extremely sad that anyone at all let alone a paraprofessional at the school can behave in this manner with a child, especially a special-needs child,” Veltman said. “If he could wind up for a punch like that, the man has big issues.”

"source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/07/who-gets-hit-and-doesnt-respond-shocking-video-shows-school-worker-punching-autistic-boy/?tid=pm_national_pop_b (Video in the link)

Scroll to see replies

ayy lmao
The boy made a racist remark and punched the man first... He shouldn't have punched back but you can't blame him for retaliating? He should know better considering he works with special needs kids on a daily basis and should be patient but there are certain things that provoke extreme reactions and I think racism is one of them!

They should investigate where the boy learnt that phrase in the first place.
Although I agree it with unprofessional for a grown man to punch a child, considering the fact the child punched the man and also made a racial remark, I do not have sympathy for him. But considering how shitty his life is going to be, I doubt he needs more punishment.
Reply 4
Original post by Dinasaurus
Although I agree it with unprofessional for a grown man to punch a child, considering the fact the child punched the man and also made a racial remark, I do not have sympathy for him. But considering how shitty his life is going to be, I doubt he needs more punishment.

The remark is neither here nor there. People who work in care homes often get attacked by elderly residents but there would be outrage if they retaliated so I don't see a good reason for a double-standard in this case.
Original post by Jebedee
The remark is neither here nor there. People who work in care homes often get attacked by elderly residents but there would be outrage if they retaliated so I don't see a good reason for a double-standard in this case.

I am aware of this, just because I know my viewpoint is illogical doesn't mean I can't feel it.
I've just shown this to my stepdad and he praised whoever was responsible and said we could do with more of it happening in this country!!!!!!!!! :angry:
Reply 8
I am aware of this, just because I know my viewpoint is illogical doesn't mean I can't feel it.

Odd response, surely the best thing to do in that case is disregard it completely then.
Original post by Jebedee
Odd response, surely the best thing to do in that case is disregard it completely then.

I am not the man in the video, I probably wouldn't punch the kid but I can't help my instinctive reaction which is to not sympathise with racists.
I am not the man in the video, I probably wouldn't punch the kid but I can't help my instinctive reaction which is to not sympathise with racists.

It's a remark from an autistic kid. Be an adult and rise above it. Sounds like you're plucking that mindset from the SJW fairytale of these mythical racist beasts who live underground and should be slain instantly on sight.
Original post by Jebedee
It's a remark from an autistic kid. Be an adult and rise above it. Sounds like you're plucking that mindset from the SJW fairytale of these mythical racist beasts who live underground and should be slain instantly on sight.

Not really, it's just I'm barely an adult myself and racism is something that offends me more than most other 'isms as it applies to me more, it's a natural bias.
Not really, it's just I'm barely an adult myself and racism is something that offends me more than most other 'isms as it applies to me more, it's a natural bias.

Why should it apply to you more than anyone else? We all belong to a race.
If you're oversensitive about it then it is a problem with you and something you need to solve, not everyone else.
The kid asked for it tbh
Original post by Jebedee
If you're oversensitive about it then it is a problem with you and something you need to solve, not everyone else.

Stop embarrassing yourself
Original post by Jebedee

I don't think that's true, it might be true in theory but I don't think racism affects all groups equally.
Original post by Youngmetro
Stop embarrassing yourself

Did someone say something? I don't converse with people who spout bullcrap like "xxxx, that is a fact!" and refuse to give a source when requested.
Original post by Jebedee
Did someone say something? I don't converse with people who spout bullcrap like "xxxx, that is a fact!" and refuse to give a source when requested.

Dont get emotional. And it's ironic since you are conversing with me, hence making you look like an even bigger fool.
I don't think that's true, it might be true in theory but I don't think racism affects all groups equally.

No you're right, East-Asians for instance are doing better financially and in terms of education. That racism seems to be working quite well for them.
Original post by cosmicstarbeast
Excerpt taken from the Washington Post:

"A Brooklyn father says he’s suing after viewing newly released video footage that shows a school official punching his autistic son in the head.Anatoly Veltman Sr. is seeking $5 million in damages over the 2014 incident at Public School 225 in Brighton Beach, where a paraprofessional trained to work with special-needs students struck then-11-year-old Anatoly Veltman Jr.Milton Parker was initially charged with felony assault for striking the boy in the school cafeteria.

Parker pleaded guilty last year to a lesser charge misdemeanor assault and was required to attend anger management classes, according to WNBC.

The elder Veltman told The Washington Post that he’s still shocked that a veteran paraprofessional like Parker could have assaulted his child.“I am extremely sad that anyone at all let alone a paraprofessional at the school can behave in this manner with a child, especially a special-needs child,” Veltman said. “If he could wind up for a punch like that, the man has big issues.”

"source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/07/who-gets-hit-and-doesnt-respond-shocking-video-shows-school-worker-punching-autistic-boy/?tid=pm_national_pop_b (Video in the link)

The boy punched him and was racist and he got punched back whats the problem?You do not know how strong that boy could potentially be a couple of punches and the school official could have been seriously injured/dead I don't think people seem to get this all that school official did was self defense and yet this is not an acceptable argument apparently?

Being autistic is no excuse for bad behaviour, so I don't get why the boy's father is so angry a lot of parents would have done the same had their son punched them like that at home and been racist.

At the moment school behaviour is ridiculously bad and reduces the learning of well behaved students, I do think physical punishment is needed in schools to handle the bad behaviour. You are much less likely to behave badly if you know you will get beaten up if you do.At the moment a lot of children behave badly and don't obey the teachers because they know the teachers can't do anything to them they may even get suspended and get days of school which is exactly what they want.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/apr/04/corporal-punishment-student-behaviour-worse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending