The Student Room Group

Trying to get experience

Im waiting for my LPC results and have been looking for my first legal role. I have little experince and feel like im getting nowhere. I apply for lots of positions and everyone wants 12 months experience. How can i get experience when they dont give me a chance in the first place? Its getting me down now, i graduated from my LLB and finsihed my LPC but im still in an entry level customer service job just to pay my carrer development loan. Im really at the end of my tether with this i just feel like ive wasted 5 years of my life & £30,000+. What can i do to help get my foot in the door?
(edited 7 years ago)
Be persistent, do extensive research and use initiative. You will stand a much better chance in London where you can become a para, but dont rule out other jobs in your area. It can be good to work for a clients who use law firms .Youve done well if thats all you owe.

Learn to type and get a job as a legal sec.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe look up north for paralegal work as a lot of firms have set up dedicated transaction offices, I know addleshaw Goddard, fresh fields, lovells all have offices in Birmingham or Manchester where you could cut your teeth. Seeing as you have an LPC as well you would probably get a position and with AG they actually recruit 8 trainees per year from their pool or paralegals, so whilst you might have to do a short stint there it might pay off in the long term. Alternatively go to an agency and as you have LPC you should be able to find somewhere in London

Quick Reply

Latest