Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a student who is coming into the third year of my Computer Science degree, and I was wondering what employment others with similar degrees found after graduating.

What job did you do after you graduated and how hard was it to find the job with your computing/IT degree?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi,

I will refer you to my other post recently from another thread that relates to this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...45&postcount=0

And another that may help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...29&postcount=9
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In answering your actual post:

Finding a job was relatively straightforward since I started job hunting quite early; beginning of the year if I recall and also to see what's out there. I spent a lot of time on various forums, job sites etc. and continued with side-projects and my portfolio.

After rejecting a graduate role of £25K, I moved on to non-graduate roles as below:

I eventually joined as a junior developer at £20K, moved on after almost a year to £23K. After a year of that I went on to £26K. About a year and a half later, £30K and then eventually £35K+. Hoping to tap into the £45K+ mark in the coming years. My goal is around £70K+.

This is in full-stack web development, btw, and I have a genuine passion for what I do.

I never bother with graduate roles and if given the choice, I would never had pursued a degree in the first place. Those 3 years could have been spent on crucial experience that I really needed.

Rejections are commonplace, try not to let them dishearten you, never stop applying or limiting yourself. You'll be rejected many more times at the beginning of your career than your gaining an offer of employment. After a year or so though, it becomes a lot easier with experience and maturity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    In answering your actual post:

Finding a job was relatively straightforward since I started job hunting quite early; beginning of the year if I recall and also to see what's out there. I spent a lot of time on various forums, job sites etc. and continued with side-projects and my portfolio.

After rejecting a graduate role of £25K, I moved on to non-graduate roles as below:

I eventually joined as a junior developer at £20K, moved on after almost a year to £23K. After a year of that I went on to £26K. About a year and a half later, £30K and then eventually £35K+. Hoping to tap into the £45K+ mark in the coming years. My goal is around £70K+.

This is in full-stack web development, btw, and I have a genuine passion for what I do.

I never bother with graduate roles and if given the choice, I would never had pursued a degree in the first place. Those 3 years could have been spent on crucial experience that I really needed.

Rejections are commonplace, try not to let them dishearten you, never stop applying or limiting yourself. You'll be rejected many more times at the beginning of your career than your gaining an offer of employment. After a year or so though, it becomes a lot easier with experience and maturity.
    Enjoy your 40% tax mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    Enjoy your 40% tax mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which he won't be paying yet. Has to be exceeding £42k gross, because the taxable income calculation is taken after the personal allowance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Which he won't be paying yet. Has to be exceeding £42k gross, because the taxable income calculation is taken after the personal allowance.

(Original post by Souljer)
    Enjoy your 40% tax mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As above. Doesn't concern me. Nor would it even if I was earning over the threshold. My net income is enough for me regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaMingy)
    So I'm a student who is coming into the third year of my Computer Science degree, and I was wondering what employment others with similar degrees found after graduating.

What job did you do after you graduated and how hard was it to find the job with your computing/IT degree?
    I did a business degree but got my first job in IT. It was a 9 month graduate role for £15.5k. TBh I was just happy to get any job as it is very hard to get a job in IT without any real world experience. Within a year I was up to 27k, then £33k and now £40k after 5 years.

As others have said already; most places value experience far beyond your degree to the point that its almost not worth even bothering with university for a job in IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I did a business degree but got my first job in IT. It was a 9 month graduate role for £15.5k. TBh I was just happy to get any job as it is very hard to get a job in IT without any real world experience. Within a year I was up to 27k, then £33k and now £40k after 5 years.

As others have said already; most places value experience far beyond your degree to the point that its almost not worth even bothering with university for a job in IT.
    wow

that is very fast increases in salary. didnt realise IT was so well paid.

I hear as time goes on unless you as a a worker keep up with the times the young wans will be better though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    wow

I hear as time goes on unless you as a a worker keep up with the times the young wans will be better though.
    Those increases were from job changes. It's the only way you're likely to see any decent increases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Those increases were from job changes. It's the only way you're likely to see any decent increases.
    interesting gotta keep moving to get better salaries.

fancied working in the public sector but always good to know.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    wow

£70K+ with bonuses if you're Oracle certified to build databases. MongoDB seems to be rising fast nowadays in the industry.

It's all a matter of experience though, mainly.

ReputationRep:
    £70K+ with bonuses if you're Oracle certified to build databases.
    After a decade or so maybe, stepdad is of that ilk and earns marginally above that after being in his current job for 12 years with regular salary increases. No one will be realistically getting that before that sort of time period unless they are related to CEO's.

ReputationRep:
    £70K+ with bonuses if you're Oracle certified to build databases. MongoDB seems to be rising fast nowadays in the industry.

It's all a matter of experience though, mainly.
    wowzers. happy out for yee. Im not talented at such things so Il stay out of it p
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    After a decade or so maybe, stepdad is of that ilk and earns marginally above that after being in his current job for 12 years with regular salary increases. No one will be realistically getting that before that sort of time period unless they are related to CEO's.
    Yeah my dad earns above £70K with bonuses and holds a DV or SC clearance. It's a decent goal to aim towards in any case. Of course no one young will be at that level, they'd need at least a decade of experience. Plenty of lucrative opportunities after clearance though; contracting, consulting etc.

As a general rule, never go down the management line, stick to strong skill-sets and roles that require high skills. Management is easily replaceable, skills aren't, when it comes to redundancy especially.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Or they work for a top tech company like Google/FB or an up and coming startup, making that much in their first year all-in (base, bonus, stock grants, signing)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Or they work for a top tech company like Google/FB or an up and coming startup, making that much in their first year all-in (base, bonus, stock grants, signing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope. Have friends working at both, one for Google in London, he has 3 years experience under his belt, and he's on just shy of £50k, and the other is working for Facebook out in SanFran and gets equivalent to £55k, again with 3 years experience.

Graduates top out at about £40k tops in both, regardless of discipline, and then only the high fliers will even get close to that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nope. Have friends working at both, one for Google in London, he has 3 years experience under his belt, and he's on just shy of £50k, and the other is working for Facebook out in SanFran and gets equivalent to £55k, again with 3 years experience.

Graduates top out at about £40k tops in both, regardless of discipline, and then only the high fliers will even get close to that.
    Erm, they're lying to you bud.

Google's standard grad offer in Mountain View right now is $105k + 250 Google stock (vesting over 4 years, i.e. 25%/year) + 0-15% bonus + signing bonus. I've seen the comp package because I have a bud at Stanford heading there this year.

Here in the UK, the all-in comp is nearer £70-80k with the above package (stock, bonus and signing).

So unfortunately, I don't think you're quite right. Graduates don't 'top out' at that, you're forgetting the rest of their compensation.

If your friend in SanFran is really on £55k, he's getting swindled out of his backside. Or there's always the case that you don't really know how much these guys earn..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Google's standard grad offer in Mountain View right now is $105k + 250 Google stock (vesting over 4 years, i.e. 25%/year) + 0-15% bonus + signing bonus. I've seen the comp package because I have a bud at Stanford heading there this year.
    Ahaha. No.

The stocks are meaningless towards the salary total. Bonus is performance dependent, and signing bonus is taken on means. The actual standard grad offer for Mountain view is a hell of a lot less than that.

ReputationRep:
    Im curious what IT startup you can work at in the UK and get £50k fresh from uni. I work for a young firm in London which has quadrupled in size over the last year. I really doubt you could ask for such a salary here.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    Im curious what IT startup you can work at in the UK and get £50k fresh from uni. I work for a young firm in London which has quadrupled in size over the last year. I really doubt you could ask for such a salary here.
    Google aren't a startup though, they're worth more than half a trillion dollars.

I imagine the unicorn startups would match Google's comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.