Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hmm i am considering being a pilot but iam not certain since i have no idea where to start.
    right now i am doing as-level subjects.
    Through background research have found out that you need ATPL ( Air Transport Pilot License ) but the problem is to be a pilot there is a lot licenses which confuses you even more and do you need a uni degree or do you start training with your chosen Flight school after A-levels.

Any advise or information is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ctcaviation.com/aspiring-...raining/wings/
    A degree isn't needed but is recommended.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.britishairways.com/career...lot_home.shtml

ReputationRep:
    My plan is to be a pilot after completing my degree.
    You need at least 2 A-Levels grade C or above to have a chance of being selected for training/hired.
    You've a couple of main routes; Integrated ATPL or Modular.
    Integrated would be an intensive course over a period around 15-18 months where you can go from no flying to having the full license. Then you'd need to apply for jobs where you can then work towards a Type Rating so that you're certified to fly a certain model of aircraft.
    The modular route allows you to study the same stuff but at your own pace by studying the separate modules at a time that suites you. This generally costs less but takes longer.
    It's a very large investment.
    CTC is a very good choice for training school, their main base being in Oxford:
    http://www.ctcaviation.com/
    It's hard to get a job at an airline once you've your license, a degree can sometimes give you the advantage over someone that just has A Levels.
    Let me know if you need to know anything else, or check out CTC's website too, lots of info on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by examiningboard)
    My plan is to be a pilot after completing my degree.
    You need at least 2 A-Levels grade C or above to have a chance of being selected for training/hired.
    You've a couple of main routes; Integrated ATPL or Modular.
    Integrated would be an intensive course over a period around 15-18 months where you can go from no flying to having the full license. Then you'd need to apply for jobs where you can then work towards a Type Rating so that you're certified to fly a certain model of aircraft.
    The modular route allows you to study the same stuff but at your own pace by studying the separate modules at a time that suites you. This generally costs less but takes longer.
    It's a very large investment.
    CTC is a very good choice for training school, their main base being in Oxford:
    http://www.ctcaviation.com/
    It's hard to get a job at an airline once you've your license, a degree can sometimes give you the advantage over someone that just has A Levels.
    Let me know if you need to know anything else, or check out CTC's website too, lots of info on there
    hi thanks for this, it was very informative specially for that bit where you said a degree can sometimes advantage you. but i a few questions

1) Generally what type of degrees do you think will be suitable - for example an aeronautical engineering course?
    2) what do you enjoy about piloting since you are also aspiring to be a pilot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpMehRevise)
    hi thanks for this, it was very informative specially for that bit where you said a degree can sometimes advantage you. but i a few questions

1) Generally what type of degrees do you think will be suitable - for example an aeronautical engineering course?
    First off, any degree is better than no degree. However I'd recommend doing something that can be related to this industry in one way or another. Whether that be engineering or business, hospitality etc. Personally, i'm doing an Electrical Engineering degree; an aeronautical/aerospace degree would also be very beneficial.
    And what I enjoy about the concept of being a pilot is just the whole idea of being up in the sky and having entire control of an aircraft, which is just an absolute marvel of engineering. I also would like the challenges faced from this career and being able to see different parts of the world and the culture.
    Hope this was some help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpMehRevise)

All degrees would be worthwhile if you talk to pilots they also recommend getting a degree first as the industry isn't the most secure so it is important to have something to fall back on outside of piloting. Obviously there will be some that can be applied directly to the role but that may lack the security other degrees provide.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.