Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about severance that I can't seem to find an answer to.

Suppose there are three co-owners who hold as joint tenants in equity: A, B and C. A decides to sell his share to B.

What is the new position in equity?

Does B hold as a tenant in common with 1/3 share and as a joint tenant with C for the remaining 2/3?
    OR
    Does B hold as a tenant in common with 2/3 share, thereby severing the whole of the joint tenancy and leaving C as a tenant in common as well?
    -----
    I have a second question, on which there seems to be quite a few decisions but no definitive answer concerning inconclusive negotiations (Williams v Hensman; Burgess v Rawnsly).

How important is agreement as to price when determining whether severance has occurred. What I mean is: what if joint tenants A and B have agreed among themselves - at least in principle - that A will sell to B, but before they can arrive at a precise decision as to the purchase price, A passes away? This will have significant impact on the operation of survivorship, so I would like to know whether the court is likely to find that severance has occurred or not. In my opinion, on a generous reading of Davis v Smith, Hunter v Babbage and Burgess v Rawnsly, severance has occurred, but I'd like to know from someone better informed.

ReputationRep:
    It is not possible to have a 'mix' of equitable ownership, and so B and C would be TiCs in your first question. C would need to have knowledge of and accept that the sale from A to B, and so all the JTs would be acting on their own shares.

I think the answer to the second question depends on what C knew about matters between A and B before their death. It's been a while since I looked at this....

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.