Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Looking to get into trading once I graduate but unsure on what uni to pick.

Looking at

UCL: Maths and Economics
    Warwick: Maths with Economics
    LSE: Maths and Economics

What course and what uni is "better" for a career in trading? I'm thinking UCL??

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ramie)
    Hey,

Looking at

What course and what uni is "better" for a career in trading? I'm thinking UCL??

Thanks
    There literally is no 'better for a career' amongst these lot..

Although, I'd caution against LSE, their Maths department isn't the greatest.

Personally, I'd go with Warwick because you'd be coupling two of their best subject areas, but if you prefer (and can handle the cost of) London then UCL might be a good shout.

Whichever you choose, you can't really go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    There literally is no 'better for a career' amongst these lot..

Although, I'd caution against LSE, their Maths department isn't the greatest.

Personally, I'd go with Warwick because you'd be coupling two of their best subject areas, but if you prefer (and can handle the cost of) London then UCL might be a good shout.

Whichever you choose, you can't really go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I live in London so actually staying in London would be cheaper for me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    Hey,

Looking at

Thanks
    UCL only has maths with economics, not maths and economics. If you're fine with doing mainly maths with a bit of economics then UCL would be the best. LSE is really good for the economics part but their maths department isn't as strong. Warwick is better at maths but I'd say UCL and LSE are better for the economics part. Of course, this doesn't really matter because banks only care about whether the university is a target when considering your education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    Hey,

Looking at

Thanks
    Have a look at Warwick's MORSE course, you might like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSnazzyMan)
    Have a look at Warwick's MORSE course, you might like it.

Yeah I have checked that course out, it does seem like a great course. Not sure if I want a degree that specific as MORSE.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ramie)
    Yeah I have checked that course out, it does seem like a great course. Not sure if I want a degree that specific as MORSE.
    It's quite broad.. You get to do 4 subjects + the opportunity to do further modules at the business school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's quite broad.. You get to do 4 subjects + the opportunity to do further modules at the business school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say its a more valued degree than maths and econ? and is it a degree aimed at helping you get into finance?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ramie)
    Would you say its a more valued degree than maths and econ? and is it a degree aimed at helping you get into finance?
    No degree will actually prepare you for the real world, not even finance.. All a degree is to these companies is a stamp of approval that you're at least somewhat smart and can handle a set workload.

So, stop trying to 'please' banks and start thinking about what you'll actually be learning for your 3-4 years at uni.

MORSE is a very broad degree that you can shape and mold into whichever direction you want. Whether you like that aspect of it or not is your decision, not mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this a lot, so just out of interest what specifically is bad about Maths at LSE? Is the teaching quality just bad or are there other reasons?

ReputationRep:
    No degree will actually prepare you for the real world, not even finance.. All a degree is to these companies is a stamp of approval that you're at least somewhat smart and can handle a set workload.

So, stop trying to 'please' banks and start thinking about what you'll actually be learning for your 3-4 years at uni.

MORSE is a very broad degree that you can shape and mold into whichever direction you want. Whether you like that aspect of it or not is your decision, not mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Amen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    I've heard this a lot, so just out of interest what specifically is bad about Maths at LSE? Is the teaching quality just bad or are there other reasons?
    Simply not as rigorous and in depth compared to Maths courses at Universities of a similar prestige (Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    Simply not as rigorous and in depth compared to Maths courses at Universities of a similar prestige (Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL)
    But you could also argue that that makes it better since it's a bit easier than the rest and is just as good for finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    But you could also argue that that makes it better since it's a bit easier than the rest and is just as good for finance.
    Never said it was a bad idea, just saying why their Maths courses are "worse" - I would definitely go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    Never said it was a bad idea, just saying why their Maths courses are "worse" - I would definitely go for it
    Yeah I agree. The best unis for maths are Cambridge, Oxford, imperial, Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    If you think MORSE is a very specific course, then you haven't done the whole research on it yet.
    If you compare MORSE and M&E (at Warwick), then you'll see that with MORSE, you can basically take any modules that can be found in M&E (but not the other way round).

The "main" Maths modules (for first year) are: Analysis, Linear Algebra and Probability. You won't be finding most of them at the LSE Maths course, hence why it's not as rigorous as on the COWI courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSnazzyMan)
    If you think MORSE is a very specific course, then you haven't done the whole research on it yet.
    If you compare MORSE and M&E (at Warwick), then you'll see that with MORSE, you can basically take any modules that can be found in M&E (but not the other way round).

The "main" Maths modules (for first year) are: Analysis, Linear Algebra and Probability. You won't be finding most of them at the LSE Maths course, hence why it's not as rigorous as on the COWI courses.
    It's hard to do research for me at the moment as I am traveling around Asia and hostel internet is very very poor.

So MORSE is a more flexible course than M&E but my only problem is that I will have to explain what I have actually studied to everyone because they will not have a clue what MORSE is lol

I am very torn between the two courses. I really enjoy maths and want to study it but at the same time I really like econ and want a career in finance, so maybe MORSE is better because of the business school element.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    It's hard to do research for me at the moment as I am traveling around Asia and hostel internet is very very poor.

So MORSE is a more flexible course than M&E but my only problem is that I will have to explain what I have actually studied to everyone because they will not have a clue what MORSE is lol

I am very torn between the two courses. I really enjoy maths and want to study it but at the same time I really like econ and want a career in finance, so maybe MORSE is better because of the business school element.
    What do you mean no clue? The banks definitely know what MORSE is. As said above there's no intrinsic advantage whatsoever for any of the courses you mentioned between themselves for finance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)

Maybe in Asia you'll have to explain it... but then why not say "I study Mathematics with branches in Economics(, Statistics and Operations Research)"? If you want to stay in the UK after, employers will definitely know the course.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ramie)

Finance firms hire MORSE grads every year, you don't need to worry about them not 'knowing' MORSE. On your CV, it'll be laid out as the full degree anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.