Turn on thread page Beta

Y do economics examiners write papers that u cant finish watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I just did the Edexcel Economics Unit 6 and throught my a level economics ive always found it difficult along with everyone else in my class to finsh economics exams. Im sure that most other people have the same experience.

I knew the stuff for the unit 6 exam, but due to lack of time i was not able to get it all down. Surely the point of an exam is to test the candidates skill in economics not how fast he/she can write. Sure you can give too much time for an exam but at the same time they should allow us to have a reasonable chance to finish the exam. Then they go and complain that the exam scripts are illegible, well they would be if u had to write so fast.

I was hoping we could get a big enough response so that edexcel would give us an answer.

Like to hear everyones views.

From nil

ReputationRep:
    I agree its hard to finsih in time... however, 1) they wont change it and 2) its all about time management and writing concisely - easier said than done. Most of what i probably write doesnt get any marks, i wish i was one of those people who could in one paragraph write all the point rather than writing 2 pages to pretty much the same effect

ReputationRep:
    I think economics exams are the most difficult time-wise. even if you have revised loads and can remember all the factors you need straight off, its still almost impossible to finish them in the right time.

But we have all finished, and will never ever have to do edexcel economics exams again......isnt that a nice thought?!!!

ReputationRep:
    i think its a shame that the econs exams are how they are. it is pointless this way. everybody i have spoken to agreed with me that all econs exams with the exception of unit 1 ,(lol) had serious time problems. The QCA does define a certain time limit for As and A2 exams. However, edexcel could do something about the questions they sit.

In order to do better in exams, it is always best to get your hands on mark schemes and do past papers. This way when a question comes up, ull know wat to write. Also, on edexcel's website there are some useful guides on how to evaluate.
    If you have done this and conquered this, then you shouldnt have a problem in the exam

Remember, its not only knowledge, but technique

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if the same problem occurs with OCR Economics? Im taking it next year and youve all scared me

ReputationRep:
    Its not all tha bad, especially if you can write to the point and keep it short however when u try to expand you thoughts under exam conditions it all becomes too wordy (in my case anyway). I agree that they dont giv eenough time you have to get 100 marks and you are only given 90minutes to do so, so you have less than a minute per mark, i think the idea behind this , is they testing you if you have knowledge in your head as soon as you see the question not like you can think about it and tr to remember what you been taught but i thin they should give at least 10 more minutes on each of their exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh - tis true, the thing with economics you can know soooo much, and yet you have so little time. I suppose the skill is time management, cut out the waffle and stick to the allocated time per question. For that edexcel paper today, i pretty much cut myself off from the essay section as soon as it was forty-five minutes, and went straight on to the data response - and I got to say I felt better about the exam as a whole because of it. After all, it is better to have a go at the whole paper than miss out 20 marks at the end of the data response.

Either way, Edexcel won't change the system (or if they do, not drastically), but at least it's over now. I would say it's all over now, but I've got that AEA on Thursday - oh well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexazver203)
    Its not all tha bad, especially if you can write to the point and keep it short however when u try to expand you thoughts under exam conditions it all becomes too wordy (in my case anyway). I agree that they dont giv eenough time you have to get 100 marks and you are only given 90minutes to do so, so you have less than a minute per mark, i think the idea behind this , is they testing you if you have knowledge in your head as soon as you see the question not like you can think about it and tr to remember what you been taught but i thin they should give at least 10 more minutes on each of their exams.
    nah thats not true. it usually is more than a minute per mark. you have prolly gotten it mixed up with UMS marks...

ReputationRep:
    sorry i forgot to say that i was doing AQA exam and not Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXXNICEGUYXXX)
    nah thats not true. it usually is more than a minute per mark. you have prolly gotten it mixed up with UMS marks...

For edexcel 6, its very close to a minute per mark. 105 mins and 100 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    For edexcel 6, its very close to a minute per mark. 105 mins and 100 marks.
    haha ****. does that include or not include the recommended 15mins of reading time?

ReputationRep:
    English Language (A.Q.A.) is just the same. You get about 35 minutes after annotating / thinking time and never seem to be able to make your points as concise as you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXXNICEGUYXXX)
    haha ****. does that include or not include the recommended 15mins of reading time?
    nope....the paper's 1hour 45 mins (i make that 105 mins) and you've an essay worth 100 marks which is then divided by 2, and then a 50 mark data response.

so if you do spend the recommended 15 mins reading the paper (and please tell me who sits there religiously reading the paper for that long when theres so much to do?) then i make that 100 raw marks in 75 mins.

UMS = 120 for the paper btw.

ReputationRep:
    no more economics exams so i suppose i got through them all in the end

it is true that writing consicely is a skill but surely not the skill that should be tested in an economics exam

today i knew exactly what to write without any time needed for thinking

i quickly planned out the essay in 2 mins and then wrote more or less continuosly till the end. Most other subjects allow u to finish with a little time spare, maths, sciences and GS are perfect infact last year i finished P1 in 40 mins (but still missed one mistake!!)

do exam boards listen to student opinions? u rekon we could tell them our opinion and they would seriously answer us?

nil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nilkanth1)
    no more economics exams so i suppose i got through them all in the end

it is true that writing consicely is a skill but surely not the skill that should be tested in an economics exam

today i knew exactly what to write without any time needed for thinking

i quickly planned out the essay in 2 mins and then wrote more or less continuosly till the end. Most other subjects allow u to finish with a little time spare, maths, sciences and GS are perfect infact last year i finished P1 in 40 mins (but still missed one mistake!!)

do exam boards listen to student opinions? u rekon we could tell them our opinion and they would seriously answer us?

nil
    don't bother. they prolly *claim* to have ppl that know better than students do

ReputationRep:
    I honestly would prefer a 3 hour Unit 6 econs where the examiners expect thorough well-planned and detailed answers to show the depth of our economic knowledge. There really is a lot of scope to do well... but the again 3 hours for some people is rather hellish.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.