Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    what do you think?

    Depends what you want to do in the future. Do you want to go to university? If so, are you wanting to go onto a music course? If so I'd say do the BTEC. You'll be completely focusing on music and therefore building up a lot more knowledge on the subject then you would do in an A-level. I don't do music BTEC, so I'm not entirely sure of the course content. But in my media production course we do a range of assignments that you work on, and therefore you're building up a portfolio. It's also more practical and coursework based, so again, you're building up your practical skills. And I'm guessing degrees in music subjects are more practical based. A-levels you'll be working up to one or two exams... and there'd also be more of a focus on theory I assume. Theory is important, but what's more important in subjects like these is being able to put that theory in to practice.

    If you're not sure what you want to do uni wise, then I'd say do A-level. That way you get to pick 3 other subjects to go along side music. This means you'll have more uni courses open to you when you end up having to apply, meaning if you end up not wanting to do a music related course, you won't have to. But if you do end up wanting to, you'll probably still get in.

    Music btec is better for music than A level. I've done both. Btec allows you to play to your strengths more and immerse yourself in the subject. A level is very rigid and geared towards specific and limited areas of music. It can be a limited experience and hard to do well at compared to btec.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources


    Blinkered horse

    Take off your BTEC blinkers

    Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

    Polling station sign

    BTEC essentials

    What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.