Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A stone of mass 0.5kg performs complete revolutions in a vertical circle on the end of a light, inextensible string of length 1m. Show that the string must be strong enough to support a tension of at least 29.4.

I can make equation of the KE and GPE of the stone when it is at the bottom and the top and then make the equation of 'Tension+mg=ma' ... I don't know whether these are the right steps or not...Can't get the answer...need help plzzzz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oliviazh)
    A stone of mass 0.5kg performs complete revolutions in a vertical circle on the end of a light, inextensible string of length 1m. Show that the string must be strong enough to support a tension of at least 29.4.

I can make equation of the KE and GPE of the stone when it is at the bottom and the top and then make the equation of 'Tension+mg=ma' ... I don't know whether these are the right steps or not...Can't get the answer...need help plzzzz
    You're doing fine for the moment! What seems to be the trouble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You're doing fine for the moment! What seems to be the trouble?
    Well, I can make the equations but can't solve them...it's a negative number which doesn't make any sense...There must be some mistakes in my equations I think

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can make the equations but can't solve them...it's a negative number which doesn't make any sense...There must be some mistakes in my equations I think
    Can you show me your equation?

ReputationRep:
    Can you show me your equation?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  500.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I think you need to be considering the bottom instead - actually. You know that at the top, the minimum speed is \sqrt{g} (from making \frac{v^2}{2} = \frac{g}{2} \Rightarrow v^2 = 2. So this means that the speed at the bottom, using your energy equation is  g + 39.2 = u^2 \Rightarrow u^2   = 49 .

Now resolving radially at the bottom of the circle gets you T - mg = \frac{u^2}{2} - solve for T now.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I think you need to be considering the bottom instead - actually. You know that at the top, the minimum speed is \sqrt{g} (from making \frac{v^2}{2} = \frac{g}{2} \Rightarrow v^2 = 2. So this means that the speed at the bottom, using your energy equation is  g + 39.2 = u^2 \Rightarrow u^2   = 49 .

Now resolving radially at the bottom of the circle gets you T - mg = \frac{u^2}{2} - solve for T now.
    Um...well...I understand the last part...but I don't know how you get the min speed at the top

ReputationRep:
    Um...well...I understand the last part...but I don't know how you get the min speed at the top
    Minimum speed occurs when the centripetal force equals the weight.

ReputationRep:
    Minimum speed occurs when the centripetal force equals the weight.
    Oh... I understand now...I've got the right answer...Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Oh... I understand now...I've got the right answer...Thank you so much!
    You're very welcome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.