Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and ~7 months old and haven't received a national insurance number yet, but I can't work out what I'm meant to do. I went to gov.uk and phoned the helpline, but it was just a 'robot' which told me to either submit a form if I've ever had child benefits before (which I haven't) or organise an interview with the job centre by following another phone number (but you need to be 20+ to do that).

Obviously neither option applies to me, but I don't know what else I can do. I've looked at various different websites and all of them just say to phone the helpline. Has anyone had a similar experience/knows what to do?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by CrazyRoyal)
    I'm 16 and ~7 months old and haven't received a national insurance number yet, but I can't work out what I'm meant to do. I went to gov.uk and phoned the helpline, but it was just a 'robot' which told me to either submit a form if I've ever had child benefits before (which I haven't) or organise an interview with the job centre by following another phone number (but you need to be 20+ to do that).

Obviously neither option applies to me, but I don't know what else I can do. I've looked at various different websites and all of them just say to phone the helpline. Has anyone had a similar experience/knows what to do?
    Try this form https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc...ate=CA5403.xdp

ReputationRep:
    It says not to complete the form if you "have never had a National Insurance number before". Doesn't that apply to me?

ReputationRep:
    On here it says phone the helpline. Those 'robot' ones usually put you through to a person if you can figure out the right set of buttons to press, so maybe try it again until you hit upon the right combination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    On here it says phone the helpline. Those 'robot' ones usually put you through to a person if you can figure out the right set of buttons to press, so maybe try it again until you hit upon the right combination?
    Okay, I'll try that on Monday (it's helpfully closed until then, lol). It says to try and phone after 1pm as it's quieter so perhaps that could be why I couldn't get through to a human before that.

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do is go down to the nearest job centre and tell them you've forgotten your NI Number. Don't say you've never received one, as they'll assume you've just arrived in the country and put you through the phone system. Make sure to bring your passport and a utility bill such as water, electricity, etc. that's been issued within the past 3 months.
    You'll have to wait a bit, as there's usually a fair amount of people in there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.