Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think many of you are getting confused. indeed many of the unis that you have mentioned are good unis for Physics. Howeverm, the original poster asked for the "best unis" tyo be listed so they could select where to apply to if you have top grades. Thus I was inclduing only the "best unis" for the subject (or at least what I consider to be the best). This is not a post where one most list every single "good" uni for Physics - there are far too many and that doesnt help a person decide!

ReputationRep:
    i'm sorry but royal holloway's physics department is more than just good, its billiant! . Royal holloway itself is a brilliant college, which as even a better physics dept than UCL!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Surrey is very good. They have an excellent industrial research year programme
    And if you go there, you might get my brother helping you out (he's a PhD student there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    This is not a post where one most list every single "good" uni for Physics - there are far too many and that doesnt help a person decide!
    If only that were true

ReputationRep:
    What are everyone's thoughts on Nottingham? And York?

ReputationRep:
    So my advise is if you live in the southeast and want study physics you should seroius think about doing it at royal holloway. Come lets be serious wouldn't rather like to get a university of london degree at the end or a birmingham, bath or durham?
    Again, students seem to be all too wary of the guardian, and if ure gunna go for a london one go for imperial, which is internationally renowned.

actually i would much prefer to get a Durham degree, for one thing I get to add 'Dunelm' to the end of my name, which sounds way cooler than 'London' (even though strictly speaking ur not menat to add the london bit!)

AND AGAIN, it depends on what u want to do after. Durham is huge for particle physics, and thats what i want to do!!!!

ReputationRep:
    York is a good uni, but i dont think its one of the best, by that i mean top 5. Nottingham is good, I looked round there, but opted against it in the end after i fell asleep in a talk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HITMAN_No1)
    So my advise is if you live in the southeast and want study physics you should seroius think about doing it at royal holloway. Come lets be serious wouldn't rather like to get a university of london degree at the end or a birmingham, bath or durham?
    Obviously I'm biased, but what exactly is wrong with Birmingham? Just that it's not UoL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    What are everyone's thoughts on Nottingham? And York?
    Both are good places to study physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    actually i would much prefer to get a Durham degree, for one thing I get to add 'Dunelm' to the end of my name, which sounds way cooler than 'London' (even though strictly speaking ur not menat to add the london bit!)
    Everyone is entitled to put the University they gained their degree at after their degree title (common form is to replace the (Hons) with (University name)). Oxford, Cambridge and Durham are unusual in that they insist on having strange pseudonyms for their degrees. There are very few strict rules and convention about displaying your suffixes, personally I do not bother having any at all, unless it is a formal, professional situation. I suggest choosing the place you study at on such a matter is not advisable.

ReputationRep:
    I was under hte impression u wernt allowed, my mum got told off once by an interviewer for doing so!

ReputationRep:
    I was under hte impression u wernt allowed, my mum got told off once by an interviewer for doing so!
    I'm afraid you mum was subject to a bit of snobbery probably. There really are no rules to tell you how you should display your suffixes, but as I say it's common convention to replace the hons with the awarding university.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the point of displaying your suffixes after your name, what does it make you more employerable or what?.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I don't understand the point of displaying your suffixes after your name, what does it make you more employerable or what?.
    It makes you look insecure so people know not to be mean to you

ReputationRep:
    It should only be used in a really formal and professional context imho - same as Dr, which, unless you are medical, should only really be used if you are active in your field. Suffixes can denote membership of learned societies as well (like mine!).

ReputationRep:
    York is a good uni, but i dont think its one of the best, by that i mean top 5. Nottingham is good, I looked round there, but opted against it in the end after i fell asleep in a talk!
    Are you talking about Physics or general? If youre talking generally then York ranks much higher than Durham...and the only reason that York doesnt rank in the top5 for Physics is because their research is hardly amazing, for teaching it is easily one of the top...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.